Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
over the last couple months my ford focus has been stalling, and it basicly started happening right after i put in my cold air intake, so i took it out and put the stock one back in and the stalling continued. so that eliminated the cold air intake. Then i was talking to my uncle who works or fords and he told me that the pcv valve hose thats behind the engine connecting to the intake manifold, that on fords the vaccumm is so strong that eventually the hose collapse which is causing my rpm's to go up and down and depending on how hard the hose is sqeezing that will determine if my engine will shut off. so i check it out and i found the same collapse on my hose. I'm hopeing this is the problem i won't know for sure until tonight (friday) when i put in the new hoseing and the new pcv valve ( the only reason why im doing the valve is because if im going to be working on that hose im going to change it while im down there) but ill keep you guys posted and let you know if that is the problem.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
yeah that sounds like the problem but keep up updated!!

glad to see you found it, well hopfully it is!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
yeah. let us know. theres a lot of funny things with this mill

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
A collapsed PCV hose should have NO effect on the way the engine idles... the hose is there to let air OUT and when your at idle (vaccum) it does absolutly nothing... plus the PCV valve itself is closed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Can you describe the problem further? Is the vehicle drivable? When does it stall? Stuff like that, one of us can probably help you out.

If the vehicle isn't even drivable I'd hazard a guess that you destroyed your MAF Sensor in dicking with your intake. Did you drop it at any point? Clean it with anything other than MAF Sensor cleaner? Touch it? Look at it wrong? They're extremely fragile...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i changed the tube in it its better but it still stalls this is basicly the only time it will stall, i will be driving it comeing up to a red light when i start to slow down the car shifts down and if it gets into first gear and has enough time to slow the engine down then the rpm's will start going up and down and eventually shut the engine off but if it doesn't have enough time to slow the engine down it won't stall and the rpm's will stay at 800.
But today lol my dad told me to come outside and look at my car and i have this massive puddle of anti freeze under my car, i noticed that it was using alot but it drained all of it out today so now thats another problem. it almost seems with this car its problem after problem.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Try cleaning the IACV it could be clogging up.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i actually filled a little bit of anti freeze up started it looked under my car and its like steady streams of coolant falling out the bottom of my car i have a friend of mine thats a mechanic coming to look at it tomorow.
for that IACV is there an easier way to get to it without having to take off the intake manifold or the alternator?

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
A collapsed PCV hose should have NO effect on the way the engine idles... the hose is there to let air OUT and when your at idle (vaccum) it does absolutly nothing... plus the PCV valve itself is closed.
Sorry for thread jacking but this I have to respond to

you are Incorrect that pcv hose behind the engine does indeed have vacuum which they are notorious for holing and collapsing on themselves...

mine collapsed and the car stalled every time while slowing down it went in 2 times to remedy it
after visit 1 ( still didn't replace the pipe) the car died 2 blocks away Stalled slowing down for a stoplight

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
i changed the tube in it its better but it still stalls this is basicly the only time it will stall, i will be driving it comeing up to a red light when i start to slow down the car shifts down and if it gets into first gear and has enough time to slow the engine down then the rpm's will start going up and down and eventually shut the engine off but if it doesn't have enough time to slow the engine down it won't stall and the rpm's will stay at 800.
But today lol my dad told me to come outside and look at my car and i have this massive puddle of anti freeze under my car, i noticed that it was using alot but it drained all of it out today so now thats another problem. it almost seems with this car its problem after problem.
dude, did you change the size of the intake pipe? if you did, this could be your prob. the MAF reads like 10% of the air coming in and uses a ratio to figure up how much air the engine is getting. so if you change the diameter of the intake tube, the CEL will turn on and engine will stall.

this is exactly how my old car acted when i tried to ghetto rig up a CAI.

what kind of intake is it?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its an aem short ram intake, so would i have to get a new mass flow air sensor? or how would i fix that? cause i tried going back to stock and it still does it

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
^good advice^ i have the same aem sri, it seems to work fine. my guess would be that the MAF got dirty/damaged/clogged(if poss.)

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Your wrong... it has NO effect on how the car idles... all of the turbo cars run BOTH the valve cover vent AND the block vent to atmosphere without any stalling or idle issues at all.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Your wrong... it has NO effect on how the car idles... all of the turbo cars run BOTH the valve cover vent AND the block vent to atmosphere without any stalling or idle issues at all.
dude, they are talking about the mass airflow sensor and, that will most definitely affect the way the cars idles.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
heheh well i have a used timing belt and water pump on there way to see if my non starting Zetec will run it.. i do know "IT" went in 4 times to different mechanics (Not by me it would of ended up at Ford) for stalling problems close to the time the belt had some of its teeth stripped off ( bills were in the glovebox..
Further inspection denoted the PCV pipe is collapsed and has holes
you can also tell Scott at Concept ford that his mechanics a lier, cuz after that last visit (With my original wagon) the stalling stopped.. after that day the only thing touched was the Throttlebody and TPS due to a Tripped CEL light it did not once stall after that pcv hose was replaced and has yet to stall even when I run the snot out of it

dude, they are talking about the mass airflow sensor and, that will most definitely affect the way the cars idles.
actually hes referring to my comment on the bills shows to show the stalling on MY car was caused by the PCV.. I never said HIS pcv was the cause all i said was that it MAY cause stalling...

either way if wagons 2 engine does in deed START i will run it with the collapsed hose and I bet it will CEL and stall the car just like wagon 1 seeing its the EXACT same setup as Wagon 1....

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
oh, thanks for the clear up feral! i know my pcv valve (not the hose) went bad on a talon i used to have and it would make my rpms go up and down. to the point it would almost stall. i dont know much about the PCV so im not going to argue about it but i do know that it almost made my car stall. b/c i got it replaced and it ran very well after that.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Shrugs my car runs and Idles beautifully after that ( it used to have a bad shudder (like the engine burping) when slowing down.. Now i can power brake and leave skid marks without stalling XD

No ABS FTW <-- odd how my SE has no abs ROTFL

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well all that i have changed in my car so far is the vaccum hose going from the intake manifold to the pcv valve, i also changed the pcv valve and my timing belt im changing when i get my cam gears done. and i think ill try cleaning the mass flow air sensor. should i just use electronic cleaner? or what do you sujest? thanks for your help you guys and hopefully i will have this problem fixed.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts