Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I drove my 2000 Focus for 15 years and never had a wreck. Saved up and finally could afford a 2012 Titanium Focus. Only had it for 1 month and a woman on a cell phone smashed into me at approximately 40mph. I was sitting at a full stop at a redlight. I saw her comming and applied my brakes as hard as I could but it was so forceful that it rammed me into the guy in front of me. Destroyed both ends of the car. She didnt even tap the breaks. Destroyed a work of art. If I had been on a motorcycle I would be dead. It makes me a little less angry about it to share it here though. See pics below.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
This really pisses me off. I hope you are OK. This whole cell phone thing is going to have to stop. I was almost killed the other day by a kid in a huge Suburban sport-ute that ran a stop sign while reading text on his phone. He NEVER looked up and was still reading his phone when he cleared the intersection. My Mazda Tribute was totaled last summer due to a texting driver.

These BS "Don't text and drive" signs and public service messages are worthless. People do it anyway.

Texting is more dangerous than drunks on the road but the courts and law enforcement are not taking it seriously. (you can bet the cell phone lobby will fight any new law) Every time a cop sees someone reading or texting on their phone while driving a motor vehicle, they should be arrested and taken to jail. Period. Just like they would be arrested for holding an open can of beer.

Texting is more dangerous than drugs, alcohol while driving
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/8...us-than-drugs-alcohol-while-driving-study.htm

·
Registered
67 Posts
Only had it for 1 month and a woman on a cell phone shashed into me at approximately 40mph. I was sitting at a full stop at a redlight. If I had been on a motorcycle I would be dead.
[
Yeah, I know the feeling, and it pisses me off too.... I DO ride a motorcycle! [mad]

Sorry about your loss!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fortunately I was unharmed. I was actually really impressed how little force made it through to the cabin. I was only shaken a bit. I don't know if you can tell from the pics but it appears that it was designed to guide the force up into the trunk area crumple zone. The metal bumper seems to have acted almost as a ramp. When they pulled my car out, her car dropped down almost a foot.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
I had this happen to me back in like 2000 or somewhere around there. She was going 55+. I never saw her coming. I thought my car exploded. Sorry man.

·
Jetsetter
6,657 Posts
Boo one less Yellow Blaze on the road. Glad your ok man

·
Registered
67 Posts
Forgot to ask you... where was this at? (I know Da 'Burgh pretty well)

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Every time a cop sees someone reading or texting on their phone while driving a motor vehicle, they should be arrested and taken to jail. Period.
I agree 100%.
I hope that the person that rammed into the OP is seriously screwed (financially and/or otherwise) by this incident.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Hands free phone/no texting while driving are Federal rules for commercial drivers, no state by state variation allowed on that.

Unless something changed this year, PA allows phone use while driving, no hands free requirement.

Any use is distracting, holding one to the ear or texting seems the worst. Enforcement might not be too harsh where there are laws, but it's adequate to make a difference. Crossing the border to PA I really notice how many are on the phone. Occasionally count when I am thinking about it, and 8 out of 10 (80% use) on the freeway is common. Percentage use drops in "country" areas, it's worse in "city" areas where traffic is heaviest & distractions are more likely to cause an accident.

Glad the car saved you (ride a Cycle as well) there have been cases of minimal enforcement after motorcycle riders were hit or killed in similar circumstances.

Enforcement

·
Registered
157 Posts
I drive almost 200 turnpike miles a day and every other driver has phone buried to ear or fingers rolling through a text. Way too many idiots. I use hands free if I even take a call. And if text that important I pull over. Too many hurt due to texting or phone calls.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Hands free phone/no texting while driving are Federal rules for commercial drivers, no state by state variation allowed on that.

Unless something changed this year, PA allows phone use while driving, no hands free requirement.

Any use is distracting, holding one to the ear or texting seems the worst. Enforcement might not be too harsh where there are laws, but it's adequate to make a difference. Crossing the border to PA I really notice how many are on the phone. Occasionally count when I am thinking about it, and 8 out of 10 (80% use) on the freeway is common. Percentage use drops in "country" areas, it's worse in "city" areas where traffic is heaviest & distractions are more likely to cause an accident.

Glad the car saved you (ride a Cycle as well) there have been cases of minimal enforcement after motorcycle riders were hit or killed in similar circumstances.

Enforcement
In my experience, enforcement is almost nonexistent in DFW. It's actually getting worse and more dangerous by the day. When I see someone texting, I will motion to them to put their phone down. The usual response? I get flipped off.

The average cost of a DWI conviction is $10,000 by the time you pay a lawyer, court costs, fines, lost wages, increased insurance premiums etc. And yet a ticket for texting is a joke. The Texas legislature passed a law that would have imposed a $100 fine and misdemeanor traffic ticket for drivers and it was vetoed by governor Perry. And texting is more dangerous than driving drunk. So it is basically the wild west down here.

Across Texas, the total costs of a DWI arrest and conviction range from $5,000 to $24,000 for a first time offense.

Levy a fine and sentencing equal to DUI/DWI and see how many people want to keep using their precious cell phones while they are piloting a 3,000 pound missile down the road.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
They need to start making money off of phone law enforcement down your way...

I agree, just noting how big a difference even a minimal law & enforcement can have. 10% with a phone to the ear is bad enough, when you cross the border & it jumps to 80% it's kinda scary.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sorry to hear that man. Looks like it will be a total loss, I would get a lawyer if the insurance company tries to repair it.
The car value will never be the same, you are better off with it totaled and getting a new car.

One other thing, and please don't take this the wrong way.
If I knew I was about to be rear ended I would take my foot off the brake...not hold it tightly. At that point it's less about damage to the car and more about not getting seriously injured.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
IMHO foot on or off the brake is debatable, for the lightest of taps you might want it off to reduce damage to the car - but for most crunches on will reduce the acceleration of the car from being hit, and that acceleration is what hurts passengers.

Probably more damage to the car with the brake on, but that's what's supposed to happen to absorb the impact rather than pass it on to the passengers. Depending where you are, brake on can help prevent your car being driven into danger from another hit - as when waiting at an intersection.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident.
IMO it is time for this feature offered on the new Euro Focus to be made available with all car makers in North America

If the cars speed is above 50kph or 31mph the warning system happens, if no action then medium braking starts, once under 32mph full on braking
happens.

It is obvious there are many irresponsible drivers out there who need this to protect drivers who are responsible.

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I look around and continually see cars that cost $30,000+ that I know are Bluetooth equipped, and yet the drivers have phones glued to their ears.

At first I jumped to the conclusion that they were either too lazy or too stupid to pair the device. But lately I've concluded that by NOT pairing, they can blather away AND have their music blasting uninterrupted.

People behave as though they can't drive withouth blabbing non stop on their phones. The theory of man's existentional aloneness has evaded their cluttered brains.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts