Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Does anyone know how much horsepower the stock 2.0 ST block can handle? Is it the same 2.3 block that the 2015 mustang will have?

Also, what's the weight difference between the ST1 and the ST2? Is it less than 50lbs?

Curious....

Thanks you.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
The 2.3 L is a different block. There is no specific published weight delta between the ST1 and 2, but the only significant differences are the larger LCD screen, dual zone climate control, and the recaro front seats, but they are not powered and shouldn't weigh too much more than the ST1 seats.

The shipping weight listed for my ST2 was 3223 LBS.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, thank you.

I just was wondering if others may install the 2.3 in the current ST, especially if its a better engine design for longevity.

I guess only time can tell.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Hi all,

Does anyone know how much horsepower the stock 2.0 ST block can handle? Is it the same 2.3 block that the 2015 mustang will have?
Keep in mind that Ford is introducing an all new 2.0L EcoBoost motor in 2015 that is much more similar to the 2.3L than the current 2.0L motor.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Hi all,

Does anyone know how much horsepower the stock 2.0 ST block can handle?

More then you'd throw at it. Have you or are you going to mod your st? There is a lot of parts that the aftermarket brought to the table. Now people need to step up. Lots & lots of bolt on's that'll make a difference. Surprised no one has added a diff. Few people has done a bbk.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
The new 2.0 ecoboost is not for the ST. [hihi]
You seem to be implying that the ST will never get the redesigned motor.

I doubt that Ford will manufacture both for very long.
Rather, the new one is being ramped up while the production of the old one is winding down.

I have no doubt that it will appear in the ST in the not too distant future (either that or the ST will be discontinued).

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
You seem to be implying that the ST will never get the redesigned motor.

I doubt that Ford will manufacture both for very long.
Rather, the new one is being ramped up while the production of the old one is winding down.

I have no doubt that it will appear in the ST in the not too distant future (either that or the ST will be discontinued).
The plan always was to start to build the 2.0 L EcoBoost I4 in Cleveland for the North American market and Valencia, Spain for Europe and the rest of the world by the end of 2014.

Right now every 2.0 L EcoBoost engine is manufactured in Spain.

Ramping up production in the first vehicle that used the outgoing engine is how they will roll it out.

Probably by 2016 the ST would get the newer version of said engine, unless they pull off a mid year change. However on something as major as an engine usually takes a full model year.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Finally, real dialogue on the gen 2.0L ecoboost. So are there any known links that speak to the engineering strategy and tech changes of this mystery motor? And thank Elizabeth for the hihi. 73's

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It would have been good I think for them to introduce the new engine in the revised 2015 ST. Revised with revised. Just saying.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Finally, real dialogue on the gen 2.0L ecoboost. So are there any known links that speak to the engineering strategy and tech changes of this mystery motor? And thank Elizabeth for the hihi. 73's
The twin-scroll 2.0-liter EcoBoost, offering an estimated 245 horsepower and 270 lb.-ft. of torque, is significantly improved over the previous 2.0-liter EcoBoost. Beyond efficiency advantages, this new engine will also provide more capability. Edge equipped with the 2.0-liter EcoBoost can be specified with newly available all-wheel drive and a towing package capable of hauling a 3,500-pound trailer.

Among a host of changes to the 2.0-liter EcoBoost is a twin-scroll design enabling optimized camshaft timing for improved engine performance and reduced turbo lag. A new, lighter engine block casting along with new aluminum balance shaft assembly shaves six pounds from the engine’s gravitational weight. Other changes include lighter pistons; a newly designed, integrated exhaust manifold; and a new, high-pressure direct-injection fuel system for finer fuel atomization. These upgrades pave the way for an increased compression ratio of 9.7:1, up from 9.3:1, for improved overall fuel efficiency.

Ford’s Auto Start-Stop system will also be available with the twin-scroll EcoBoost engine on the new Edge. In heavy traffic, this technology can seamlessly shut down the engine to decrease fuel consumption, reducing tailpipe emissions to zero while the vehicle is stationary and the engine is off.
https://media.ford.com/content/ford...ses-fords-best-technology--more-driver-a.html
It would have been good I think for them to introduce the new engine in the revised 2015 ST. Revised with revised. Just saying.
That's just not Ford's way of operating when it comes to rolling out a new engine in their performance model. For example take the 2010 Mustang GT with the carry over 4.6 L 3V V8 vs the 2011 GT 5.0L Ti-VCT.

I suspect that besides the Edge the Taurus and Explorer are ahead of it in line for the new engine.

·
Deutsche Arsche
2,549 Posts
Wolf Racing claims to build to 500+ on their website in Germany.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Like the '15 wrx, gti?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think so. Why not? New with new. But, I imagine there is always a reason why the manufacturers do what they do.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I think so. Why not? New with new. But, I imagine there is always a reason why the manufacturers do what they do.
I like the '13-'14 st, not sure about the '15 model update, as far as the body goes. I'd be modding what you have.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will do some modifications, but limited. I'm gonna try and keep the warranty up. I do like the front on the 15 st, not sure about the back end of the car.

·
Registered
38 Posts
'13 & '14 EcoBoost 2.0L:

I have not personally seen the vehicles, yet dyno sheets have shown the stock engine to hold in excess of 400whp/wtq no problem.

The stock fuel system seems to hold up to 400whp/wtq as well.

Anything over 300whp 400wtq seems to require a clutch setup.

Turbo swap, full 3" from turbo back, FMIC, solid upper/lower boost hoses, 3" intake tube and FRPP snorkel with cotton style filter and a custom tune seem to be all that is needed to hit 350-400 whp and 400-450 wtq.

Currently, there are two or three people who are closer to the 500whp/wtq range. Stock engine, but unaware of mods. Likely injectors and fuel pump upgrade in addition to everything else.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
'13 & '14 EcoBoost 2.0L:

I have not personally seen the vehicles, yet dyno sheets have shown the stock engine to hold in excess of 400whp/wtq no problem.

The stock fuel system seems to hold up to 400whp/wtq as well.

Anything over 300whp 400wtq seems to require a clutch setup.

Turbo swap, full 3" from turbo back, FMIC, solid upper/lower boost hoses, 3" intake tube and FRPP snorkel with cotton style filter and a custom tune seem to be all that is needed to hit 350-400 whp and 400-450 wtq.

Currently, there are two or three people who are closer to the 500whp/wtq range. Stock engine, but unaware of mods. Likely injectors and fuel pump upgrade in addition to everything else.
This^^^^^^^ + I'd be installing a diff, a bbk & doing some suspension mods.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This^^^^^^^ + I'd be installing a diff, a bbk & doing some suspension mods.
Actually, the internals on the ST transmission is quite simplistic an beefy! A guy on FocusST.org actually pulled his trans, took it apart, changed the bearing races and installed a LSD. Total time took 3 days because he had never done anything like it before; however, he has had zero issues with it, and the internals just look so damn simplistic! No joke!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts