Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What are the max parts you can upgrade without needing to do a chip reflash or tuning?

I’ve bolted on these parts in this order. What would you people suggest I do next.

Steeda STS
Steeda short intake
Steeda 65mm TB
MBRP Exhaust (flex back)

I have a street that is on my way home that I can safely do a sprint down before I come to a 30km hairpin. When the car was stock I was getting up to 90km now I’m making it to 105km before I need to break hard. However the breaks sure do feel soft at that speed.

I’m thinking rear engine mount and SVT brake conversion. What do you guys think?

Also what do you think of painting the calipers red? I think I 'd like to do it, but how? What paint and do I need to sand them before I paint them? Can I paint them with them still on the car?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I would suggest a draxas header and a tune from focussport. you will defintly be able to feel the differance, iirc draxas ran about 131whp on a 2.5 with an fs cool flow intake, and a 2.5" exhuast with no tune. but make sure you do a rear 02 disable when you get your tune.

The rear engine mount is nice. not to much vibration, but don't buy it from steeda.

the rear svt brake's are gonna be pricey and a lot of epopel i know have had bad luck with them grabbing to much in the rear, so make sure you upgrade the fronts too.

just buy caliper paint (at any autoparts) and yes if you cover stuff well do it on the car. if you stick with the stock drums, do the drums too, to prevent them from getting cancer.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wickedgreyzx3 said:
I would suggest a draxas header and a tune from focussport. you will defintly be able to feel the differance, iirc draxas ran about 131whp on a 2.5 with an fs cool flow intake, and a 2.5" exhuast with no tune. but make sure you do a rear 02 disable when you get your tune.

The rear engine mount is nice. not to much vibration, but don't buy it from steeda.

the rear svt brake's are gonna be pricey and a lot of epopel i know have had bad luck with them grabbing to much in the rear, so make sure you upgrade the fronts too.

just buy caliper paint (at any autoparts) and yes if you cover stuff well do it on the car. if you stick with the stock drums, do the drums too, to prevent them from getting cancer.

Thanks for the info.

Why should I not buy the rear engine mount from Steeda?
My MBRP exhaust eliminated the 2nd cat so I don't think I'll be doing a header. Besides I hear replacing the header makes the car quite loud.

So I guess as far as more power you would suggest a flash next?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
it is 20 dollars overpriced and it is the same thing from www.focussport.com

a flash will maek the car run a lot better and a bit snappier, maybe 5-6hp. but remeber you are going to have to use premium fuel...

you can do a low octane tune, but it is pretty much worthless

·
Registered
345 Posts
well if you want the most without tuning, which is what you asked about, i have run a marcy cai, draxas header, fs exhaust, and crane stage one cams without any problem at all. no cel nothing. made damn good power with it too. yes a tune will help but its not needed.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
but it says oyou are running a tune now. aren't you a million times more happy with a tune ??????????????????

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
20.oo over priced i got my MBRP fro 179.99 how is that over priced for some bent metal. your best bang for the buk is having one custom bent for u and buying the mmuffler u want

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
craigb3 said:
well if you want the most without tuning, which is what you asked about, i have run a marcy cai, draxas header, fs exhaust, and crane stage one cams without any problem at all. no cel nothing. made damn good power with it too. yes a tune will help but its not needed.
Crane stage 1 cams ah! No tune required? What kind of boost did you get from those?

Thanks for all the replies guys, this is helping me out greatly!

·
Livin' it up in Cali
2,005 Posts
crane stage ones will give you a good 8-10 whp without tuning.

stage two cams require tuning and springs/retainers but will give you like 15-20 whp.

·
Livin' it up in Cali
2,005 Posts
Also I was at 160 whp 157 wtq with just fs cool-flo intake, draxas header, 2.5 exhaust and bs delete...... no tuning.

·
Registered
305 Posts
wickedgreyzx3 said:
it is 20 dollars overpriced and it is the same thing from www.focussport.com

a flash will maek the car run a lot better and a bit snappier, maybe 5-6hp. but remeber you are going to have to use premium fuel...

you can do a low octane tune, but it is pretty much worthless
What are you talking about? I don't think you have to use premium fuel if you tune the car... maybe if you've got a turbo under the hood, then I can see that but a tune... I'm not thinking so. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
The person tuning the car can set it up for whatver octane you want unless the car is boosted or has compression. I can only run 91, 87 would be a bad thing on a 11.6:1 motor.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Yes do the brake conversion. I also buy from steeda as I may be dumb but like there products and don't mind paying a few bucks more.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Steeda is good even though they are overpriced, but for a Duratec what isnt overpriced

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
^^^Amen brother....

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
i buy from steeda b/c they are across the state from me (im in tampa) and even if i pay for ground shipping i usually have my product in a day.

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
rockn4 said:
Steeda is good even though they are overpriced, but for a Duratec what isnt overpriced
Man yeah.... with these prices it makes a Chrysler A3 (4.22" bore 9.3" deck racing small block) block for $3k bare look like a great deal. Let's not even get into what kind of hp 440 I could build for what I'd pay for wheels, disc brake conversion, intake manifold, turbo kit, cams, and exhaust on a Duratec.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Is it just me or what the heck is a Chrysler A3???

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
What I mean is you can always find a cheeper part if you look. But there is a point where you lose more than you gain realibility due to cheep part. I only like steeda as I have good luck with there products. My hood came had all the proper atachments and fit perfect bottem was good. This to me is more importent that you know when you order you will get a quality part and not a luck of the draw thing. I feel there are allot of other good manufactures. I also agree what isn't over priced for these cars.

·
Registered
345 Posts
wickedgreyzx3 said:
but it says oyou are running a tune now. aren't you a million times more happy with a tune ??????????????????
yes your right i am a million times happier with the tune. i ran around without one for a long time and was also quite happy. but the question was what can be done without tuning so thats why i replied as so.

as for the brake upgrade go for it. I personally haven't done it and am quite happy with the brake upgrades i've done (slotted rotors, hawk hp + pads in the front, and mintex shoes in the rear), but from what i've heard from others its a great upgrade.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts