Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm new to focusfanatics so please bear with me.
Okay so I have a 05 ZX3 with a relitively stock 2.0 engine and a 5 speed tranny. I've been trying to figure out what is the max SAFE rev limit? I regularly shift at 5k rpm but im not sure if this is safe as I would like my engine to last a year or 2 more. Thanks
Jesse

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
i would hope that your motor would last more then 1-2 years. i would say its safe to 6000 rpms but if you want your car to stay strong threw all the abuse that it sounds like you want to put it threw , i would go get a tune. factory tunes are crap!!!! ooh wecome to ff. you should read up on the duratec here on the forum.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i would hope that your motor would last more then 1-2 years. i would say its safe to 6000 rpms but if you want your car to stay strong threw all the abuse that it sounds like you want to put it threw , i would go get a tune. factory tunes are crap!!!! ooh wecome to ff. you should read up on the duratec here on the forum.
Awsome I'll be looking into a tune soon then. Thanks for the help.
Jesse

·
Registered
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdnld4482
6300, isnt that when it cuts out on stock tune

i'm not so sure about that... my 06 goes right up and past 7K's on my tach. Factory tach i have never played with anything... ( yes, safe track use... first gear when really fast ha ha)

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
^^ he never mentioned holding it at 7000.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
the stock tach isnt 100% accurate, mine reads 200RPM's above what the engine is really doing

IIRC the stock rev limiter is 6250...

its safe to rev to whatever the limiter is set to stock, if you get a tune, it can be raised... but obviously, you'll want to start upgrading parts... the first thing are stronger valve springs... the strong ones will really push the valve back up so you wont have to worry about over revving the engine past the limits of the valve springs.

the thing to remember when revving an engine high up alot of times is to keep and eye on the oil.... sinse the engine will be taking a beating more... the oil will need to be changed more frequently to provide adequite protection and lubrication.

i would never really recommend revving to 5k at every light, but if you drive lets say 3 days hard on the car, and 4 days like normal, i wouldnt see an issue with the car... you can maybe even do it everyday, but just like at on ramps and off ramps... but if 90% of your engines life is spent in the high RPM range, i would deffinately start looking at better bearings and internals for the future.

remember, as you beat on it, it'll start to show its signs of wear.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
your car will not over-rev like an old-school car, there is a fuel cut-off at the rpm listed in the above posts

·
Scuba Edition
1,694 Posts
Fuel Cut should be 6750.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I only hit the fuel cut in my older SVT once, but that was to help me avoid an accident, so it was worth it. If you plan your shifting and practice, you will be able to nail redline shifts without hitting the fuel cut, which will slow you down and puts stress on things such as the timing belt/chain in your case

·
Registered
87 Posts
Fuel Cut should be 6750.
Yep, that's what the tachometer showed in my 07 with stock tune when I redlined it. BTW, the speed limiter kicks in before the rev limiter even in 4th so 5th gear is kind of useless [joke]

EDIT: This has implications for dyno runs which will NOT cover the entire rev range when done in 4th gear.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
yeah 6750 w/out a tune..

and you can rev safely all the way to it on your 2.0.. just dont hold the revs there for extended periods of time.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Mine looks to be about 67xx or 68xx. If you use the digital tach in the gauge test mode, the needle reads higher than you are actually revving.

·
Registered
744 Posts
The SVT engine can go to 8,000 RPM at which point the oil pump is prone to failure. However, the SVT engine has stronger valve springs, forged rods and oil squirters so it has had some fairly significant internal modifications that allow it to operate at those speeds.

As for wearing out your engine, just keeping your RPMS higher isn't going to make that much of a difference. Just because your engine is spinning faster does not mean that it's wearing faster. The thing that wears out your engine the fastest is lubrication failure. Whenever you start your engine cold, there is a time where your engine is starved for oil; it's not terribly significant but I'll bet you'll wear your engine a lot more delivering pizzas over two years than shifting at 5,000 every time (this presumes you're driving in normal traffic, obeying speed limits and other laws.)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks again for all the help everyone, it's much appreciated!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts