Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im building an n/a car mainly just the head.
ill be getting an FR head and having it decked a good bit.
crower st. 2 or 3 cams
a new oil pump
and in the future an FRIM
so i was wondering can the stock rods and pistons handle 8k rpms.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im getting the oil pump/gears i was just concered about the rotating assembely moving at 8k

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
Stock springs start to float at about 7K. With the SR stage 2 cams. The crowers are much more agressive, and more lift will make that problem worse. But since you are probably doing the head, I will also asume you will also do the springs.

Personally, I wouldnt trust the stock internals that high. I bet Tom would know the stock internal limits.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if the cams make power that high then why not? i plan on having a fully built top end. on my current set up i make max power all the way to fuel cut. so i want to raise my limiter.
im not going to be turbo'd dont get confused with my name

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i also plan on getting the 4.06 final drive so a rasied rpm would make up for the shorter gears when racing

·
The Godfather
4,405 Posts
if the cams make power that high then why not? i plan on having a fully built top end. on my current set up i make max power all the way to fuel cut. so i want to raise my limiter.
Just because the cams will make power up there doesn't mean that the rest of your system will and I can tell you right now that you are wasting your time thinking about this. Like slo said 7200-7400 is about where you want to be.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Since the FR head comes with .390" lift I would be upgrading to .450" lift
Valve spring don't give ya extra HP but, they do help the cams so there not working as hard or something like that.

·
Registered
395 Posts
mine is set at 7,400rpm on stock block.....make sure you get better valve springs and a valve job also.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so either way 7500 or 8k it would be smart to have a new oil pump. and we'll see what the dyno says.i was just wondering when the stock rods and pistons fail so i know when to stop.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
also. "if u make max power at 7500. then if u take the car to 8k it will put u in a better spot in the next gear."

·
The Godfather
4,405 Posts
also. "if u make max power at 7500. then if u take the car to 8k it will put u in a better spot in the next gear."
The only flaw in that logic is that you wasted 500 rpm on worthless spinning. The time you wasted taking the car to 8000 and dropping HP outweighs any perceived gains.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
all that you would be doing by pushing the car that hard is putting more unneeded stress on the engine. why push it to 8 when it doesnt really make sense to do it. it isnt a VETEC honda motor made to turn over 9000rpm it is a ford motor. as far as the pistons and rods taking rpms that high it just depends on what kind of shape they are in and if the car has been properly maintained. if you want to see what a zetec can take then look up "sending a zetec to hell" on youtube. you should come up with an old zx2 excort with the 2.0zetec. they tinkered with it for a little bit cranked it up put it in neutral and floored it through a full tank of gas filled it up and floored it for another half tank before it blew. and then it was only because they drained the oil and coolant. the zetec is tough enough to take it but it probably wont be making power that high. dont have high hopes to be making alot at 8000rpms. you will probably peak at around 7000rpms or lower and then drop like a brick.

·
FF Affiliate
31,169 Posts
im not going to be turbo'd dont get confused with my name
I think if you go to a dyno you will see your not making power to 6250 RPM and are failling off , cams alone wont make it pull to 8000 you would need about 12.5 to 13-1 compression , very large ported head , very good flowing intake manifole , SVT or better header and much much more , even then I doubt it would pull all the way to 8000

Tom

·
Registered
975 Posts
im getting a ported and Decked FR head. and crower 2's. i have an svt header, and i plan on getting the FR intake in the future.
right now on the dyno i make max power 6550.

my dyno^

·
The Godfather
4,405 Posts
im getting a ported and Decked FR head. and crower 2's. i have an svt header, and i plan on getting the FR intake in the future.
right now on the dyno i make max power 6550.
Crower stage 2's in that setup will not yield you power into the rpm range you speak of.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well things have changed. i can no longer get the 2's they were sold. so it looks like im getting new cams. and im probably getting fr 3's or crower 3's

1 - 20 of 47 Posts