Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just curious, I am thinking about going with a turbokit for my duratec 2.3l and was wondering what the safest level of boost I could allow for before needing to re-enforce my engine components. Also, if I choose to do other mods in place of a turbo, whats the max HP a duratec can handle safely before needing re-enforcement? Thanks.

[8]

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you're going naturally aspirated, you can get over 200hp out of it with a fair bit of cash. You'll probably want to pick up some new engine/transaxle mounts early on though. Even with the stock HP the soft OE mounts let the engine move way too much.

As far as max boost, FocusSport's Stage 2 kit goes up to 11psi IIRC on stock internals. That makes me a little squeamish but FS does a lot of testing so I'd trust them. That's as high as I would push it on stock compression. If you lowered the compression with some new pistons you could probably boost it a bit further without much work.

http://www.focussport.com/turbocharger.htm

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
If you get a turbo, you might as well get forged pistons and rods, and maybe a ranger billet crank and you'll be set.... Just remember our aluminum blocks cant withstand 40psi like evo's 4G63 cast iron block can......

·
Registered
440 Posts
motor can handle 9psi without changing the internals and the clutch bombs out at 200 hp and will start to slip a little at 190 hp

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
FocusFreak87 said:
If you get a turbo, you might as well get forged pistons and rods, and maybe a ranger billet crank and you'll be set.... Just remember our aluminum blocks cant withstand 40psi like evo's 4G63 cast iron block can......
With the Cosworth CGI block option I think you can boost up to an EVo/STI block, maybe evn more. It was an option of (discontinued) MM's stroker kit, and I think it was under a grand.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
the cosworth cgi block was for zetecs and Turbo Tom was TALKING about doing the stroker, not Marcy Motorsport.

·
Registered
650 Posts
lol, this is funny... right now I am pushing well over 225whp... FS Stage II at 9PSI, and no slippage of the clutch... now if I turn it up to 11PSI it slips...

I am still running 100% stock internals...

The stock clutch is rated for 245ft/tq not sure on the HP...

Anywho, as for max psi, F2 Focus did a test and blew the motor apart at 16psi (all stock internals)

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
if the engine is well tuned it can handle OK. but if u add 3 psi and have a crapy tune with too much timing, etc. say good buy to the engine. the most i.ve seen is ~11 psi intercooled

·
Registered
650 Posts
engine is well tuned... Thanks to Randy from FS :)

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah, good to know that proper ECU tuning would make that much of a difference. Was looking into the Xcal 2 as it stands so when I get the loot together, I can do this. [thumb]

[8]

·
Registered
650 Posts
well skip on buy the xcal 2 and buy the entire kit, then you get tuning included with it...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts