Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knows whether if the heater matrix is leaking, the water would come out of the a/c drain tube?

I'm loosing coolant but the only place that i can see anything coming out is the short pipe below where the heater hoses go through the bulkhead. i'm assuming this is the a/c drain?

The carpets are not getting wet but the leak is quite slow.

Car is a 2003 1.6lx focus manual.

Many thanks,
Darryl

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
You should figure out if what you're seeing is coolant or water. It might simply be water from condensation in the box. Fords automatically turn on the AC whenever the windscreen defrost is turned on in any vent selection (DEF, or DEF/FLR) or temp- yes it even cycles on full hot temp. The only way you'll know if it comes on is if you notice it cycling- the AC light doesn't light up. The way to keep the AC from cycling while keeping the windscreen free from fog is to either leave the vent selection on DEF, but the fan off, or keep the vent selection turned one dot above DEF/FLR. I keep mine on DEF, but the fan off for cold mornings- but my cold is not as cold as your cold as I'm closer to the equator.

I'd put a paper towel or white paper under the drip. That will tell you if it's coolant or water. Water won't leave much color on the paper, but coolant should. You might even want to purposefully drip a little coolant on the paper to be sure of what color it will be when it dries. It might turn white, and that would mean you'd need a different color of paper.

It isn't a big leak, so it wouldn't do you good to have the heater core replaced, then still have the same problem.

Have you replaced the coolant reservoir cap? That might be a waste of money, but it's one place where you can have a slight leak.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the very helpful suggestion, I will try that.

The A/C thing makes sense as even with the A/C off and the heater off it still seems to cool the car, worth bearing in mind.

Cheers,
Darryl

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
If you're leaking engine coolant, you still need to find where that's coming from. It could be from the thermostat housing, the water pump snout, around a hose, etc. Look for white build up around any of these areas that would indicate coolant had been leaking and drying off there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts