Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the FRPP 1.5" kit with the SVT shocks. I have a few hundred to spend on sway bars. What is the best route to go? Should I get sway bars that "match" the springs/shocks? In other words, do spring rates and sway bar size go hand in hand? Does Ford Racing have a sway bar kit? I was looking at the Eibach kit since their spring rates are the closest to Ford Racing. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
I have the FRPP 1.5" kit with the SVT shocks. I have a few hundred to spend on sway bars. What is the best route to go? Should I get sway bars that "match" the springs/shocks? In other words, do spring rates and sway bar size go hand in hand? Does Ford Racing have a sway bar kit? I was looking at the Eibach kit since their spring rates are the closest to Ford Racing. Thanks for any help.
To a degree yes, sway bars should be compatible with spring rates. I say this because a stiffer spring does not necessarily need a stiffer bar. In some cases a well matched spring and shock can negate the need for bigger sway bars (the spring rates are used to balance the car and then the bars are used to "fine" tune. Going with really stiff bars can be overkill for the street (realistically.....when, where, and how much are you really going to rely on them?). In addition, really stiff/big bars can also require reinforced control arms as well as beefier links and attachment points so keep that in mind.

The goal is a neutral handling car where you induce oversteer when (and only when) you want it. Some bars (usually big ones) can induce oversteer on their own terms which means it can happen when you don't need it or least expect it (bad weather, poor street conditions, etc. for example). Moderation is the name of the game when selecting bar size especially for a street driven car. My experience is that on a Focus you probably don't need much more than a 22mm rear bar and in most cases you don't need to increase the front bar size at all (especially if you start with decent shocks and springs).

Look at it this way...... as you increase front bar size you increase push (understeer). This is the trait you're usually trying to eliminate. To offset this, you then have to increase the size of the rear bar (thus the reason for front and rear bar kits). Most cars are delivered with a fair amount of understeer from the factory as its more controllable for the normal driver. For an aggressive driver, barreling into a corner and then turning and have nothing happen (aka push) can be just as scary as too much oversteer is for an inexperienced driver.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You were just the person I was hoping to respond. So with the FRPP kit a 22-25 should be okay? I know the bar stiffens by a factor of 4 for every mm of size and I know the mounting points will need to be reinforced. I just want to confirm because it looks like 25 mm is the most common size and the best price range for my budget.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
^^^ FRPP's sway bar set is a Eibach set, nothing wrong w/ that. That's a great set up to go w/ your FRPP's suspension too. Awesome that you have a 23 motor!

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile When I got my Frpp kit, I also got matching sway bars to go with it and was sent the Eibach sway's for front and rear. But my car didn't come with the rear sway bar and ended up getting the Steeda sway bar and brackets that go with it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hey Homey, long time bud. Where'd you pick up the FRPP 1.5" kit from? Everywhere I seem to look, I find the 0.5" - 0.75" kits (as per descriptions). All good otherwise?

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
Hey Homey, long time bud. Where'd you pick up the FRPP 1.5" kit from? Everywhere I seem to look, I find the 0.5" - 0.75" kits (as per descriptions). All good otherwise?
Call Steve at Tously Ford 1-800-328-9552 or Hillbish Ford 1-800-849-0233 and tell them what you are looking for and either of them will be able to help.

I have the above mentioned kit and use the SVT 21mm front sway and Steeda's 22mm rear bar. I am very pleased with how my car handles, perfect for my daily driver. A good set of grippy tires is just as important (if not more) as the rest of the suspension pieces, so dont forget that.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, Tousley should have the springs you need. I've been around here and there. My mods are few and far between but luckily my suspension is just fine tuning for now...just trying to pick the right sway bars for the set-up I have.

I'll check out the Steeda bar. As for tires, I just got some Yokohama S-Drives and I'm getting it allighned tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help guys!

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
Hey homey get the h&r front and rear 24mm sways at FSWERKS(no shipping). Love mine

·
slow
1,734 Posts
I think the stock front bar with a 22mm rear offers a good balance for a daily driver. I tend to be impatient on the throttle, so anything bigger than a stock front bar = way too much corner exit wheel spin.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
I came from an 18mm front/ no rear so upgrading the front was a must but when I had the FRPP kit the 22mm front/25mm rear combo felt pretty good in all weather conditions and the only time the rear stepped out on me was when I went WOT into a corner and lifted half way through in the rain (duh, of course thatd happen!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts