Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you could build a kit to match or beat the Cosworth stage1&2 kits for less more money if possible. Everyone says there are better things out there for the money, so now Im challenging your know how. I have been thinking about posting this thread for a long time, so I hope you can help me thanks for the help.[scratch][thumb]

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
There are some things that you won't be able to do right now without Cosworth, like their intake and exhaust manifolds. However, a hybrid Cossie/non-Cossie part setup should easily meet the same power as the Stg III kit for a fraction of the price.

For example:
Cossie Intake Manifold
Marcy CAI
FC TB
Crane Stg. II Cams
Crane Valve Springs & Retainers
Cossie Header & Flex
SuperTech 11.6:1 Pistons
Eagle Rods
Marcy BSD

I don't have time to price things out, but that should get you pretty close to the 230 crank HP of the Cossie Stg III kit, but for a lot less.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Mine's a hybrid, and I'm right at Cosworth's D-level 2 #'s. I haven't even dyno tuned my car. I'm not using Cosworth's tuning or their CAI.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Are there any other cylider heads out there for the 2.3l other than the one that's supposed to come with the stg 3?

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
FR announced a head, but it has yet to hit the market.

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
Download the new FR catalog, there is a Duratec racing head in there. Focus Power also offers a ported head, but I'm not sure if it's on his website or not- it's just one of those things that Tom mentioned he was still going to be offering during his retirement.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Anyone got any idea how much Tom charges for a built 2.3?

Oh, and wouldn't an 11.6 comp ratio beat the engine up too much? I think Aerostudent has that particular ratio in his MM built engine, but I never asked him about the durability issues...

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
It's running very happily. I think there's about 10k miles or so on that motor. I'm not quite sure when it got installed?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Is it kinda rough, though? When you hear a high comp engine run, it's like Bam-Bam-Bam... ! I just wonder if those little cast rods in the Dura will make it long with that kinda pounding. Likely have to wait and see, I guess.

Aero, I have another question for ya; how much horsepower gain did you get by upping the comp ratio by 2 points? Any idea?

·
Registered
651 Posts
I'm sure Aerostudent's higher compression pistons have Eagle rods connected to them. I wouldn't recommend putting any piston in without doing the rods as well on our motors.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I'm actually running a custom set of carrillos

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info guy/gals I see there are many choices to be made, now all I have to do is pick which ones.[headbang] [cheers] [drinking] [thankyou] [wrenchin] [thumb]

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Yah like Egz said the cossie intake manifold is the only one on the market as far as i know, but there are other types of cams, throttle bodies, headers, exhausts, and intakes that can compete with the Cossie set up for cheaper too. Example, Draxas header 400 bucks comes with flex pipe. Aem, Steeda, K&N, Focussport, FocusCentral, MArcy Motorsport, all make CAIs for the 2.3 L. Focus Central Throttle body.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How much do you think it will cost me to make my own stages 1&2 and the one thing I forgot to mention is, can these mods be made to pass emissions?
If I get the right effect I can live with losing a few ponies b/c of a high-flo cat.

·
Registered
930 Posts
You need to talk to huntincooter on focaljet. I highly recommend it. He is local.

·
Livin' it up in Cali
2,005 Posts
no he has a fs turbo ....

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I looked around and found out that F2 is coming out with a new header thats supposed to flow better at the lower rpm range, and it will come with the flex pipe unlike cosworth but Idk about draxas. The price got my intrest $300.00 which is cheaper than the others, I talked to Ricardo about 2 years ago when I first bought my focus. He told me that he was making parts to rival cosworth in price and performance, he is also working an exhaust system single and dual. So heres hoping that he brings these parts soon b/c as soon as Im half way done paying my focus off thats when I will install these parts. Its only 6 months away and I cant wait.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine doesn't use any Cossie parts, only because they were not easily available when I built my engine. For me a lot of the Cossie stuff is pretty good value, but these engines are so easy to build, you can pretty well throw any decent cams, springs, rods and pistons and get a good return.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts