Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok problem number 2 of the year. My master cylinder just went out, but I guess I should be happy because it's at 140k miles compared to everyone else who only made it to 40k with theirs. My question is do I need to replace the slave cylinder at the same time or just wait and see?

Thanks again in advance.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat.

Um, go right ahead - but that requires pulling the trans., and once you go that far you might as well do a clutch as well....

Most do NOT replace those as pairs, drippy Master doesn't prove the slave is due for replacement.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's actually what I was hoping to hear. I couldn't figure out how it dripping would cause the slave to fail, but I also don't have a lot of mechanical knowledge.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feel like I've been lucky with this car so far. With the exception of it's love for tires and alternators, it really hasn't been a problematic car.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Mine's been great too, consider it a wear item on the Focus. 35 bucks and two hours of your labor isn't too bad of a problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ok problem number 2 of the year. My master cylinder just went out, but I guess I should be happy because it's at 140k miles compared to everyone else who only made it to 40k with theirs. My question is do I need to replace the slave cylinder at the same time or just wait and see?

Thanks again in advance.
I've never been a fan of preemptively replacing parts other than pulleys belts and things you can prove to be having a problem.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Had to do mine twice because the first one was defective and leaked again..not fun in the middle of this awful winter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts