Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
E Brake Cable Question

@Svizzara,

How did your e brake cable install go? I first tried to mount the cable to the rear knuckle using the supplied bracket, but the cable then doesn't reach the caliper. I then tried to slide the bracket along the cable, but that was a no-go. I then ended up taking the route you did, ditching the bracket and popping the cable out of it so there is just the rubber sleeve where the bracket used to fit. Mine are now routed identically to yours, just using the existing plastic clips to fasten the cable to the unibody, then routing through the hole in the supplies Massive bracket that holds both the cable and the hose, and then to the caliper. If you check out Massive's install pics, you can see they didn't route the cable via the bracket but they also did not use the clip on the brake cable.

https://massivespeedforums.com/new-massive-focus-rear-disk-conversion-kit-facts-a-t17130155.html

The problem is that now I have the opposite problem, instead of the cable being too short it now has too much slack. The cable stays in place but I never get pressure on the calipers when pulling the handle, even after adjusting the tensioner all the way down. The cables are still attached under the car below the handle up front, but that is where the slack is. I am not sure where I went wrong on this one, I ordered the below spacers (supposed to be used as extenders/connectors) to try to fix the problem, but I would really rather figure out what went wrong in the first place. The new brakes are otherwise working great and my install looks just like yours.

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-21123-Brake-Connector-Assortment/dp/B002H93BVW

·
Registered
149 Posts
Figured it out, and didnt end up needing to use the iffy brake line connector approach. There is a hole in the caliper itself that the brake line is supposed to go through just before it attaches to the caliper spring. A plastic sleeve on the line snaps into this hole in the caliper and holds the line securely in place. The Haynes manual did not cover this and i never noticed it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi All, sorry for the thread sorta revival here.

I hail from sunny convict land Australia, and was wondering if anyone would happen to know if the 2006-2011 knuckles in the US are the same globally. reason i ask is that we i can get a set of 2006-2011 knuckles here for a dime, but going to cost me an arm and a leg from the states.

If i choose to import the ST170 knuckles from the UK its the same + my first born.

if that is indeed the case then im hoping to use the focus st225 knuckles with the 320mm calipers.

any info greatly appreciated.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
Hi All, sorry for the thread sorta revival here.

I hail from sunny convict land Australia, and was wondering if anyone would happen to know if the 2006-2011 knuckles in the US are the same globally. reason i ask is that we i can get a set of 2006-2011 knuckles here for a dime, but going to cost me an arm and a leg from the states.

If i choose to import the ST170 knuckles from the UK its the same + my first born.

if that is indeed the case then im hoping to use the focus st225 knuckles with the 320mm calipers.

I'm not sure about the US spec '06-'11 knuckles being the same as the euro ones, as the Euro Foci was a mk2 at that point vs the basic mk1 platform from '00-'11 for the US. The Volvo s40/v50 & the Mazda 3 used the euro mk2 platform. The st170 are the same as the US svt.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts