Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
I've had my CFM udp kit for a few yrs now w/ no issues. Really frees up the motor.

·
FF Affiliate
30,671 Posts
I just purchased Conflicted Chaos's WP pulley and I will say it was well worth it. This is not one of those mods you do for big dyno numbers but for improved driving dynamics (IE* like a 67mm throttle body). LIke the 67mm throttlebody it helps the car feel so much more engaging and helps driveability; however the best benefit I have noticed was the car running slightly cooler on the gauge (not too cold or out of operating temps) so the reduction in cavitation as Massive promised really shows in temps (fluid cools better with less aeration). This is a major plus for me during track days.
Placebo effect and you proved it , your water cant run any cooler unless you change the fan setting in the tune and change to a 180 deg thermostat , your not feeling the added WPp

I like telling a story where a customer brought in his camaro mid 90`s and wanted UDP set up installed , I didnt have time and when he came to pick it up I was busy and told him they were in the car and swing by tomorrow , when he came by the next day he told me how great it felt and how he was glad he bought them , I opened the trunk and showed him they were not installed yet , he swore it felt better and ran better

Great word but there had better not be any air in your cooling system so there shouldnt be any cavitation going on , If you install clear hoses on the cooling system like I have done in the past after about 2 thermostat cycles the air is out of the system and why we now have all cooling systems with the raid fill up higher then the raid and no more raid caps on the raid , this is done to get all the air out of the system

I would not have purchased this pulley with just the opinions of just the Focus community but out of curiousity I browsed the Mazda 3 forums and there were quite a few guys who just did the WP pulley (stock crank pulley) and loved the free'er reving engine and the overall feel of the car. So I went ahead and took the chance and tried it out for myself and I am glad I did. The Massive WP is larger (but lighter) than the stock pulley and is very close to to the p/s pulley tolerance wise but everything fits and works beautifully.
If the engine revs free`er then you have taken TQ and HP from one place ( to turn the water pump and/or crank pulley ) so this should show up on a dyno with starting the run at 2000 , it doesnt its a placebo effect

Im not trying to bust your chops about this but I have been testing things on my in house dyno for almost 30 years and doing custom tuning , if it worked I would be the first to say it helped but it does not

Tom

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread.

I took my car in to get the AC fixed and have leaks all over - collector, evaporator, condensor, lines. Rather than pay 1500 to get it all replaced or tear into the dash and do it myself, I figure for around 150 bucks I can get a UDP and A/C delete with a new belt. This would at lease give me an excuse as to why my A/C doesn't work other than "it's broken". It's not a bug, it's a feature, right? :) That led me to some searching which landed me here.

The FSWerks site only has a Zetec UDP which shows a dyno sheet of a 3HP/2.4TQ gain. I would assume similar results could be expected on the Duratec, no? If not one or the other, I would figure both the UDP and the A/C delete would amount to a little performance gain, either in actual HP/TQ numbers or just in engine spin up time. Odd that the MSS pulley doesn't include the belt size. Here's a program! No, we aren't sure what kinds of systems it will run on, try and let us know.

https://www.fswerks.com/products/fswerks-crank-underdrive-pulley-kit-ford-focus-zetec

I see Burton has a Cosworth kit that includes a couple pulleys, a belt, and an alternator which is way too expensive for me but likely has a more measurable effect than replacing a single pulley.

Cosworth alternator/tensioner/underdrive kit: Ford Duratec 2.0

I do still feel that UDP is an extremely "tuner" mod, which to me just means a mod with very slight (if any) benefits. I don't mind spending 100 here or there on tuner mods (like a poly torque mount or short throw shifter for example) but for 500 euros I would need some real power. Same reason why I cant bring myself to spend 300 on the CFM throttle body. For that money I could get a brand new MTX75 or an MFactory LSD or a low mileage 2.3.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread.

I took my car in to get the AC fixed and have leaks all over - collector, evaporator, condensor, lines. Rather than pay 1500 to get it all replaced or tear into the dash and do it myself, I figure for around 150 bucks I can get a UDP and A/C delete with a new belt. This would at lease give me an excuse as to why my A/C doesn't work other than "it's broken". It's not a bug, it's a feature, right? ? That led me to some searching which landed me here.

The FSWerks site only has a Zetec UDP which shows a dyno sheet of a 3HP/2.4TQ gain. I would assume similar results could be expected on the Duratec, no? If not one or the other, I would figure both the UDP and the A/C delete would amount to a little performance gain, either in actual HP/TQ numbers or just in engine spin up time. Odd that the MSS pulley doesn't include the belt size. Here's a program! No, we aren't sure what kinds of systems it will run on, try and let us know.

https://www.fswerks.com/products/fswerks-crank-underdrive-pulley-kit-ford-focus-zetec

I see Burton has a Cosworth kit that includes a couple pulleys, a belt, and an alternator which is way too expensive for me but likely has a more measurable effect than replacing a single pulley.

Cosworth alternator/tensioner/underdrive kit: Ford Duratec 2.0

I do still feel that UDP is an extremely "tuner" mod, which to me just means a mod with very slight (if any) benefits. I don't mind spending 100 here or there on tuner mods (like a poly torque mount or short throw shifter for example) but for 500 euros I would need some real power. Same reason why I cant bring myself to spend 300 on the CFM throttle body. For that money I could get a brand new MTX75 or an MFactory LSD or a low mileage 2.3.
Read the above post. What Tom says is correct.. and if the AC is off, your not losing power. Only when the ac is on and the clutch is engaged do you lose power. So removing the AC unit will not gain you power. You will just loose some weight of the front end..

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Deleting the a/c system does drop weight= great for real race cars...not good for comfort. Heck I've installed a Vintage a/c kits in a couple of my cars yrs ago. btw a/c does a better job at defrosting the windshield then w/o a/c.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I didnt realize that about the AC, no point in wasting any time or money swappig the compressor for a dummy pulley.

Also now that I think about it, I realize i was considering the zetec crank udp and the duratec water udp as comparable when theyre really not. A crank udp underdrives all accesories and a water udp only underdrives the water pump. Brain fart. So it the zetec gets 3hp from a crank udp I think tom is spot on maybe 1hp and veerrry slightly faster rev up with just the water pulley.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
I didnt realize that about the AC, no point in wasting any time or money swappig the compressor for a dummy pulley.

Also now that I think about it, I realize i was considering the zetec crank udp and the duratec water udp as comparable when theyre really not. A crank udp underdrives all accesories and a water udp only underdrives the water pump. Brain fart. So it the zetec gets 3hp from a crank udp I think tom is spot on maybe 1hp and veerrry slightly faster rev up with just the water pulley.
Besides the a/c, What accessory takes the most power to run?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Besides the a/c, What accessory takes the most power to run?
Idk if this is rhetorical, but I'm not sure which accessory that would be. Could very well be the water pump and that's what Massive made the pulley. Did some looking into this, looks like most alternators have a similar clutch-like function where it adjusts load on the belt as needed, and most power steering has no load when not in use. Not sure about the water pump, I imagine it all comes down to how often these accessories engage/disengage based on ECU inststructions, temps, driver action, etc, and then what the belt load ranges and averages are, but I don't know enough to do much more than speculate here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys, I'm driving a 2014 Fusion with a 2.5 DTec. Is the crank pulley on mine the same as the one on the 2.0/2.3? If I swap to the massive UDP y'all are talking about would I run the standard 2.0/2.3 belt?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
But would I run the standard 2.0/2.3 belt?

Sent from my moto g(6) using FF Mobile
Whats the difference on all the belt lengths? It should use the same belt you have. The CFM udp kit I have uses the oem belt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The focus water pump pulley is about a half inch smaller diameter than the fusion so I thought belt would have to be smaller.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

41 - 57 of 57 Posts