Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has installed the Massive Underdrive water pump pulley for the Duratec 2.0 engine. My friend was getting ready to put it on when he said that I needed a bigger belt. If anyone has installed this UDP and can remember the size of the belt needed please let me know.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I say go for it, looks the pulley is the same size as the stock water pump so you should not need a different size belt. Looks like I might get one as well, while it won't be a huge gain I will take less weight where possible and they are not expensive. I would not run a lightweight crank pulley though, they are not keyed and there is too much risk screwing up the timing. Install it and let us know how it feels. [cheers]

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks yellow hatch I will definitely let you know how it works out. Its a quality piece for 1/3 of the price of the CFM kit. Got one here on the marketplace brand new for $45.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Thanks yellow hatch I will definitely let you know how it works out. Its a quality piece for 1/3 of the price of the CFM kit. Got one here on the marketplace brand new for $45.
Lucky! I am getting my water pump pulley from ebay for 74 bux. About to order it now so that makes two of us installing one. I don't care what others say about it for the price I will take my 1hp with a smile, they also mentioned that the stock water pump pulley isn't doing much at high rpm and causes cavitation (I just got off the phone with Massive) so a cooler running engine during track days are a plus for me. It's not like I am paying the price of a light weight crank pulley no running the risks. Have fun with it! [cheers]

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't read anything negative yet regarding this pulley. I'll be in touch for sure. Should be installed by this time next week. Thanks for your input!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
I say go for it, looks the pulley is the same size as the stock water pump so you should not need a different size belt. Looks like I might get one as well, while it won't be a huge gain I will take less weight where possible and they are not expensive. I would not run a lightweight crank pulley though, they are not keyed and there is too much risk screwing up the timing. Install it and let us know how it feels. [cheers]
Yea, the crank isn't keyed but its easy to install cfm's pullley kit. You use the stock belt too. Does make a difference & I have no issues at all. I've had mine on for yrs.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So you guys are saying no need for a larger belt? My buddy was convinced that it needed changed. He does a lot of work on Fords. I'll let him know then thanks guys.

·
FF Affiliate
30,679 Posts
There a total waste of time and they add NO performance and like stated above you do take a risk on the duratec of moving the cam timing

They just are not worth the .3 to 1hp they might add , spend your money and time on something that does help

Tom

·
Registered
353 Posts
So you guys are saying no need for a larger belt? My buddy was convinced that it needed changed. He does a lot of work on Fords. I'll let him know then thanks guys.
No need for a larger belt for water pump pulley. But yeah definitely stay away from the crank pulley, stock one is fairly light. The water pump pulley imo is justifiable because the price is way cheaper and is safe to do as you are not messing with timing. Reducing cavitation @ high rpm and a few pounds off safely are a plus to me.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Makes nice for removing whieght you don't do it for HP gain but you do UDP just like bsd. For responce

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Makes nice for removing whieght you don't do it for HP gain but you do UDP just like bsd. For reslonce
This^^^^^^^^^^
Just makes the motor rev quicker & freeier. You'd have to remove a lot of static lbs to equal out rotational lbs. Just to add, I had frpp's alloy driveshaft on my 5.0 & is so Lexus smooth & lot less rotational weight.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Massive mentions needing a different size belt on their site, but don't specify what size for the different Motors it fits.

Underdrive WP pulley has to be larger, can't both spin slower & be the same size as someone mentioned...

·
Registered
75 Posts
+sailor - must be larger, possibly within the tensioner's adjustment range though... Maybe? If with the stock pulley/belt, the tensioner isn't fully 'retracted' but in the middle of its range of motion...

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Makes nice for removing whieght you don't do it for HP gain but you do UDP just like bsd. For responce
This^^^^^^ For a quicker, freeier revving , more responsive motor + you'd have to remove a lot of static weight vs rotating weight. More then likey the udp's help make the alt. live longer too.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Well straight from the horses mouth; just got off the phone with Massive again. They said you can use the stock belt however they said "what's the point if you don't run the crank pulley as well?" (which I am definitely not doing). They could have easily lied and said "yeah running the water pump pulley adds hp" but they told me straight up lol, so props there. Just thought I would give you an update but since you only paid $45 you didn't lose that much cash and weight is about the only benefit you can gain, the others are not there without the whole set. I am backing out of getting one. If you want a cheap mod that has been proven on the dyno run with some Autolite AR103 sparkplugs (see Duratec sparkplug thread). The difference was pretty dramatic for such a cheap mod and from Autolite out of all companies lol.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting that they would sell a "performance part" that yields no benefits whatsoever. Also I called them twice and they said that their tech guy was out until tomorrow which doesn't help that my mechanic is working on my car tonight. I emailed that guy of theirs and no response. I'm going to take my chances and see what happens. Worse case scenario is that nothing is gained. Also talked to my friend/the mechanic and he says the stock belt will definitely not work. He already had it apart and I trust his word as Fords are his expertise. Gonna get the next belt size up from advanced auto later today. Thanks for your response Yellow Hatch!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also, about the copper Autolite spark plugs, I did read that post but it was posted after I had recently already bought and installed NRG laser platinum plugs ($20 on Ebay). As soon as I hit 10,000 miles on these I'm swapping out for the motorcraft brand.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Interesting that they would sell a "performance part" that yields no benefits whatsoever. Also I called them twice and they said that their tech guy was out until tomorrow which doesn't help that my mechanic is working on my car tonight. I emailed that guy of theirs and no response. I'm going to take my chances and see what happens. Worse case scenario is that nothing is gained. Also talked to my friend/the mechanic and he says the stock belt will definitely not work. He already had it apart and I trust his word as Fords are his expertise. Gonna get the next belt size up from advanced auto later today. Thanks for your response Yellow Hatch!
It's not they are selling a part that has no benefits they just happen to sell each pulley (crank and waterpump) separately and I guess they assume you already have the lightweight crank pulley installed and just sell the waterpump for an "upgrade" later. At this point though I am sticking with the stockers as I do not want to deal with the timing issues for minimal gain (especially since this is my daily driver). I think you are calling the wrong number by the way. I have been calling the one on their Ebay listing: (815)675-1822 and the lady has put me on the phone with a knowledgeable individual every time. But yeah on the plugs the trusty Coppers are best bang for your buck, I don't deal with "designer" sparkplugs that yield no benefits. Factory Motorcraft for long life and Autolite AR103s for cheap dyno proven HP.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's not they are selling a part that has no benefits they just happen to sell each pulley (crank and waterpump) separately and I guess they assume you already have the lightweight crank pulley installed and just sell the waterpump for an "upgrade" later. At this point though I am sticking with the stockers as I do not want to deal with the timing issues for minimal gain (especially since this is my daily driver). I think you are calling the wrong number by the way. I have been calling the one on their Ebay listing: (815)675-1822 and the lady has put me on the phone with a knowledgeable individual every time. But yeah on the plugs the trusty Coppers are best bang for your buck, I don't deal with "designer" sparkplugs that yield no benefits. Factory Motorcraft for long life and Autolite AR103s for cheap dyno proven HP.
Yep that's the number I've been calling its listed on the Massive website. Not quite sure why they are giving me the run around though?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts