Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, can anyone tell me how they got their massive front upper bar installed?? Mine does not fit. I mean, it does, but it wont clear the furthest bolt's threads...so about a mm off. Friccin annoying. I tried jacking up one side, but no help. So, can you guys give me your tips? And yes, it is the right one for the duratec.

Thanks.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
wow....20 views, and no input...

·
Registered
626 Posts
sounds like the hole mightve been off a lil bit... i would just bust out a drill and open it up a lil bit if its only a mm or so...

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
You have to jack BOTH front wheels off the ground to unload the suspension. By then there should be enough clearance to tap it down with a rubber mallet.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
You have to jack BOTH front wheels off the ground to unload the suspension. By then there should be enough clearance to tap it down with a rubber mallet.
So you just jack up the front and unbolt the three bolts on the tower? You don't have to jack up the wheel right? I just ordered one today and don't want to run into any problems.

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
Yep, both front wheels off the ground. Out of all the strut tower bars ever made, I bet the percentage of them that actually drop in without some force is quite slim. Everycar that I've modded my suspension on needed a little grunt to get them on.

A strut tower bar has to be preloaded with some form of energy in order for it to do it's job.

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
I got 1 last week from Steeda but haven't had a chance to install it yet so this looks like it may come in handy for me to know before I install mine :)...

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,787 Posts
I have the steeda one and it went on no problem at all without jacking up your car.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, no dice with the jacking up both sides too. i even got another jack and tried to compress the wheel. nothing worked. had a buddy there with me too, one person pushing, the other pulling. just not happening. using a mallet would have destroyed the threads.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i finally got it on, but had to use a drill and then a chisel to the holes to make them slide over at all. so, at least its on. thanks guys.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sorry i didnt take any, and its on now, and im not messin with it anymore lol. whole thing sucked.

·
Supercharged
3,275 Posts
I have a FocusSport strut brace and had to drill mine out slightly You can't tell once it's installed.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
oh, no, u cant tell at all once its installed. bolts right down.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
The purpose of the strut bar is to hold the suspension and chassis components in its neutral position. Jacking it up takes it out of its normal position and in extreme cases the bar can actually hold it somewhat in that position (like angling the strut slightly if its bad enough). The best way to do it is with both wheels firmly on the ground. If it doesn't fit, take a rat-tail file to the inside of the holes and file it out till the bar slips over with no resistance. Torque the nuts down and enjoy.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Mine only went on with the suspension hanging and some talking to. I set the car down, then removed and reinstalled the nuts, because I didnt want to introduce any wiggle room by enlarging the holes. It just defeated the brace in my mind. Overall, it was a pain but worth it. What's the verdict Nem?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts