Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys check out my car and follow me channel to see my future progress.
I plan on going full forged rotating assemble and getting the FSWerks turbo kit. Suggestions on parts and tuning would be appreciated! I’m Located in Michigan.

·
Registered
Daily Driver: 2.5-swapped '09 SE Coupe
81 Posts
Hey zacattack, I'm u/anyoneusethisoneyet from r/FordFocus, with the blue 2.5L-swapped 2009. Subscribed! Curious to see how all the little things affect output on the dyno....soooo jealous that you can just run it whenever you like!!
In addition to my Reddit profile, I have stuff like a build thread on here if you wanna check it out. I'll be keeping an eye out for new stuff from you!

As for suggestions, you shouldn't have to mess with the bottom end at all. The Duratec engines are pretty stout. I would go with the midrange turbo option on the FSWERKS Stage 2 turbo kit, I think it's the Garrett GT28RS. Your 2.3L has a little added displacement so it can spool a bigger turbo than a 2.0L can. You can safely run 8-10psi of boost on stock Duratec internals, anything over that is where you will venture into forged internals territory. At that point you might look into low compression pistons, forged rods, and Crower stage 2 turbo/FI cams, and Vernier cam gears from MassiveSpeed. Also be sure it's the turbo cams, not NA/street cams.

First though, I'd be curious if you replaced the stock spark plugs with Autolite AR103s from FSWERKS, what kind of power increase you might get? I'd also be curious how much you can gain from cleaning your MAF sensor if you haven't already.

Cheers!

Ben

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey zacattack, I'm u/anyoneusethisoneyet from r/FordFocus, with the blue 2.5L-swapped 2009. Subscribed! Curious to see how all the little things affect output on the dyno....soooo jealous that you can just run it whenever you like!!
In addition to my Reddit profile, I have stuff like a build thread on here if you wanna check it out. I'll be keeping an eye out for new stuff from you!

As for suggestions, you shouldn't have to mess with the bottom end at all. The Duratec engines are pretty stout. I would go with the midrange turbo option on the FSWERKS Stage 2 turbo kit, I think it's the Garrett GT28RS. Your 2.3L has a little added displacement so it can spool a bigger turbo than a 2.0L can. You can safely run 8-10psi of boost on stock Duratec internals, anything over that is where you will venture into forged internals territory. At that point you might look into low compression pistons, forged rods, and Crower stage 2 turbo/FI cams, and Vernier cam gears from MassiveSpeed. Also be sure it's the turbo cams, not NA/street cams.

First though, I'd be curious if you replaced the stock spark plugs with Autolite AR103s from FSWERKS, what kind of power increase you might get? I'd also be curious how much you can gain from cleaning your MAF sensor if you haven't already.

Cheers!

Ben
Thanks Ben I appreciate the interest. If the bottom end is as stout as you say then I may end up just keeping the stock internals and doing a refresh since the motor I’ll be using has 175k+ miles on her. That would definitely save me some money because that turbo kit definitely isn’t cheap. I could definitely test the AR103s for you and see if it makes any difference and as far as I know the MAF sensor hasn’t been cleaned on either of my cars so that would be another good test since I have a baseline for both. I’ll definitely check out your build thread and keep you updated on my progress. Probably no Focus videos this weekend as I’m taking the Jeep out but definitely more testing in the next couple weeks. Again appreciate the suggestions!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not bad at all I have an 07 zx5 atx with fswerks header and race exhaust, steeda intake, crane stage1 cams, 91 Oct tune, massive 76a poly dog bone and I'm putting down 147.7 HP and 137.4 tq at the wheels on a superflow dyno

Attachments

·
Registered
Daily Driver: 2.5-swapped '09 SE Coupe
81 Posts
Not bad at all I have an 07 zx5 atx with fswerks header and race exhaust, steeda intake, crane stage1 cams, 91 Oct tune, massive 76a poly dog bone and I'm putting down 147.7 HP and 137.4 tq at the wheels on a superflow dyno
That’s good, those are 2.3L numbers, or what your 2.0 is making at the crank from the factory. Sounds like a healthy build. I’m not sure exactly what mine makes as I haven’t had a chance to dyno yet but someone on the forums has the same exact setup as me (2.5 swap, mtx, 70mm Taurus DBW throttle body, VCT delete, BSD, header, stealth exhaust, intake, tune) and was putting down around 188hp to the wheels. Butt dyno says that’s decently accurate, I might be a little shy of it now but after the tune is complete I’ll probably be between 180-190whp I’d bet.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is my winter beater 05 ST with FSWerks CAI, race header+ Stealth Exhaust, and 93 octane tune. @Focus86 basically the same mods as me. One thing I will be testing in the future is swapping my CAI and full exhaust over to my new car to see the power gain from those individual mods as well as flashing my tune to the new car. At that point I would expect to see identical dyno sheets but we will see considering the cars have a 41k mile difference and my grey car has the BSD done to it now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts