Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man~, talk about a PITA. I bought the polyurethane dogbone bushings from massive after I had acquired the old style dogbone off of a focus at a salvage site, and I was told that everything was real simple and that the install should only take a few minutes. Boy was this BS.

Every shop I went to around town to have the old factory bushing pressed out, were claiming that they didn't have the tools to do it or that it can't be pressed out and that you have to buy a whole new unit if it was worn out. So I ended up having to come back home and spend some time with a mallet, punch, and a reciprocating saw just to get the old bushings out. After this it was quite easy to find someone to press the new ones in, however trying to install the darn thing was a B[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]ch. The new bushings had a larger diameter than the originals and as a result there was not enough clearance to put the dogbone in by hand. I ended up having to get a 12mm nut and bolt from a hardware store and use them to pry the cross member and the transmission bracket wide enough to fit the new dogbone. I put a nickel over the end of the bolt to prevent it from screwing into the factory fitting, and using the nut I tightened it to apply a prying force. After this it was quite east to get the darn thing in.

As far as performance, I can definitely say that I enjoy it. I have a 09 automatic, and you can really feel the engine vibrating the cabin anytime there is a hard load put on it such as taking off and going up hills. Along with my fswerks race exhaust, the car does sound and feel like it's a muscle car; however it currently lacks the power of such, but I plan to change that with a built 2.3 and a turbo later. I would also like to mention that I don't have problems with vibrations while idling like I have heard from a lot of people who have automatics with polyurethane bushings, maybe the 08+ have a higher idle set from the factory. Anyways overall I definitely think it was a sound investment, just don't know if all the labor was worth the money I saved from getting an aftermarket dogbone that already had the bearings pressed in.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
I've seen that a lot of guys burn the old busings out to put the new ones in to circumvent the need for a press.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could have done that but it would have probably taken longer to melt all that plastic and rubber. Also from what I could see, there is no way to get the new ones in without a press.

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
I used a drill and made some holes in the old mount while rotating the dril, which shredded the old one. Then I just used a bench vice and some dishsoap to press the new ones in. Found out after i was all done that taking the center pin out of the bushing prior would have made the hour long battle a 15 minute one. The vibrations do settle down, i dont really have any now.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
761 Posts
yeah i did some holes to the bushing to and with a hammer i broke that mofo out i went to a local shop to get the poly bushing in and drill the center pin with a 1/2 inch drill bit

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
all the shops you went to are lazy. I just walked over to my work's press and the first random chunk of steel fit it perfectly. I did not do any pressing but we have all the tools needed.

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
took me like 15 mins to punch out the old bushings and pop the new ones in.
I fought mine for an hour so not sure how yours popped in so easily. Mine fought me every step. I had arbors, various metal cones, cylinders and sockets.

I have the newest batch of bushings, which they claimed as their stiffest ever. Maybe the reason?

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
782 Posts
so how noticeable is the vibration inside... i have been thinking about doing this but my gf picks up on every little noise and already hates my intake and exhaust... i do alot of long trips and i dont fee like having a annoying buzzing/vibration

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
The only time you ever feel it is the week or two after you install, before the bushings loosen up a little. There is no vibration other than when you first hit the gas from idle. If you have an auto is may be worse at idle. Nothing different at full throttle, highway, or city cruising. No added noise.

Sounds like you need a new girlfriend! I do what I want to my car and my girlfriend has no say. And she's fine with that.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
I fought mine for an hour so not sure how yours popped in so easily. Mine fought me every step. I had arbors, various metal cones, cylinders and sockets.

I have the newest batch of bushings, which they claimed as their stiffest ever. Maybe the reason?

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile
I think its because you have an older dog bone. my 06 has a steel housing and the bushings had some type plastic on the outer edge of the rubber.

I held the mount with my left hand and smacked the bushing out with a rubber hammer, then soaked it in WD40, put it on the ground and pressed it in with my hand.

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
Yep definately didnt work for me haha.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
Yep definately didnt work for me haha.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The ST's were the only ones that came with a steel dogbone, however even the common aluminum dog bone has a hard plastic rim that surrounds the rubber bushing. So in other words the steel dogbone shouldn't be any easier or harder when it comes time to getting the dogbone out.

Also even after I took out the metal sleeves the bushings were still too hard to push in by hand. I suppose a vice could have sufficed but alas I went with the easiest proven method, which is a press.

·
Da fofo love remains
1,538 Posts
2 pieces of 2x4 and a mallet did the trick. 30 seconds and used the same mallet to hammer that puppy into place. The trick was lining up the bolt holes for me.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,214 Posts
I dont know about the newer mounts... what works for me twice already is I put the dog bone in a vise to hold it, for the large busing you just need to find a socket that is big enough to reach the plastic rim and the metal center insert in the rubber; then tap the socket around the bushing with a hammer and the stock bushing comes out in 20 seconds.

For the small one, again the plastic outer lip is the key.

I pressed the poly ones in with a wheel bearing kit that my friend owns. As far as the vibrations they should go away almost completely. After about 8 months I dont even know that it's there now, especially after the hot summer months really softened it up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts