Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes i have a focus svt and i just purchased an intake for it. in order to attach the mass airflow sensor to the intake i need to take the cylinder part off of it and insert the sensor itself into the intake piping. i am unable to dissasemble the sensor because of the strange screws that are holding it together. i tried all my allen wrenches and bitss for my screwdriver and none work. do i need a special tool from the dealership or what? somebody please respond.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
You need a T25 Security bit. Its a regular Torx, but has a hole in it for that pin in the center. You can buy it at Autozone.

·
The Professor
2,664 Posts
Please don't use those stupid CAIs where you have to take out the MAF housing. Ford made it that size and in that location for a reason. Get one that keeps the housing, or make your own. A bigger re-programed MAF would be great to add later.

Okay, let the insults fly...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks. so whats wrong with the intake i got? what so bad about removing the intake housing

·
The Professor
2,664 Posts
Well, talking to guys who race Mustangs in classes where they run the stock EEC computer, they say that the location of the MAF is very important to performance. Also the computer is programed to the size of the stock meter and if you change that size, you have to calibrate the meter to send the right voltage or re-claibrate the computer. There is some room to play to richen or lean the car within stock parameters, but I think tha AEM and others really don't take that into accout the variation between each car's computer code and programming and just put out a one size fits all solution. Thus on some cars you get drivability problem. Also the AEM dia is smaller than the stock tube. This cuts air flow and if it doesn't screw everything up, it will at least richen thae air-fuel mixture as well. New cars are usually too rich stock.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I have a aem cai.But i have not had any problems out of it.I like it(to each his own i guess).Put i have a serious Question.Can you get a maf that is recalibrated like the pro maf,and just take it out and put it in the intake.It that do anything.I always thought that the calibration part of it was in the maf and not the housing?

·
Registered
892 Posts
The aftermarket CAIs are designed and manufactured to account for MAF location and airflow. The fact that the tubing appears smaller doesnt reduce airflow or hp in the least. If you look at your stock air intake you will notice that the smallest diameter pipe the air must flow through is the MAF itself. By keeping the tubing the same size and smoothing out the airflow by mandrel bends in the pipe, airflow and hp is increased.

ZX3matt: Where are you getting your information?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah so i got that bit from a shop and it didnt work

·
Registered
36 Posts
"yeah so i got that bit from a shop and it didnt work"

because you got the wrong one. you need the "tamper proof" torx. it's called something like that. if you are in a pinch and are careful. you can drill that dimple off w/o damaging the rest of the bolt head. or, get the correct tool(easiest).

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
"tamper-proof" means it'll have a little female dimple in the top that'll fit over the male dimple on the MAF sensor.

Mike

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys you've been a real help got the intake all hooked up and had a nice fight with the guy at auto zone who gave me the wrong bit.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
well, as a parts store employee, i really hope you didn't chew him out too badly. did u show him what you needed? if not, then he probably did the best he could without visuals. security bit torx is a funky thing that not everyone knows about. hell, i know ford techs who have never heard of the thing.

Mike

·
Focus Enthusiast
365 Posts
he works at a parts store, not a dealer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you drive my mom? thats too bad. i dont know what kind of person you are paying someone to give you herpes. lol.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
yeah. always keep in mind that the people at the parts stores are not car gods. most are just pimple-faced teenagers or college students who are just there for the discounts. of course, i shouldn't say that bc i'm one of them, but i've been there for 4 years and have been made manager, so i think i know a little. anyway, point is people are human. the guy behind the counter might not know any more than you. if he did, he'd probably be working somewhere where they paid him more appropriately for that knowledge (like a dealership or a shop).

Mike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts