Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to mask my tail lights.
The auto body shop said paint wont stick well.
The vinyle shop said it wont stick.
So how are people masking there tail lights?
I know it's possible I've seen it done.
I don't want those getto looking black outs on my car.
So any advise would be great.
Thanks

·
Registered
321 Posts
Masking... meaning darken the entire lens? Or just an outline? Sorry, but I don't understand...

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you ever seen the black outs with designs in them. Well it's like the same thing but
without the crapy looking blackout.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Okay, I think I know what you're talking about.... I think you could get some of that spray-on tint stuff.... and just mask with tape off the parts that you want the 'designs' on.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I was thnking about doing that all you have to do is do the lightest tint possible on the outside of your rear lights, i think?

·
Registered
321 Posts
With the spray tint stuff, you can put on as many or as few coats as you wish, to achieve the desired darkness (or lightness).

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So this spray tint stuff will stick to plastic?
or is this some thing I will need to do every car wash?

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Sounds like a cool idea anybody got a link for this stuff??

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I think its called "nightshades" I've seen it on ebay before... But I just did a search and couldn't find it.

There is one person on ebay though that uses it, tints taillights, and sells them for HUGE profits! lol I see his stuff on there a lot!

*Nightsahdes is usally about $15.00 a can... and looks pretty good when done! (Make sure you don't let it dry in cold weather.. or it gets "cloudy" Ive heard...) [thumb]

·
Registered
321 Posts
I know several guys who've tinted tail lights with it. It won't come off in the car wash, but will come of with isopropyl alcohol or paint thinner and some scrubbing.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Here is a link to mine with nightshades on them (paid 11.00 for one can and did all of what I wanted to do).............I also tinted the front signals and the side signals as well and cleared over all of it since then with Gloss Modeling Clear :

Nightshades

-Later

·
Registered
34 Posts
Only problem with tinting your rear clusters instead of replacing them, is that if you make them too dark then it will greatly restrict the amount of light shining through and thus make them illegal on the road.

Your probably better off getting some replacement rear clusters.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts