Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so i have lots of questions and i'm hoping that this is just the place to get them answered.

Exhaust:
would i want 2.25 or 2.5 inch? would i want to get a cat-back or a high-flow cat pipe? do i neeed or want a flex pipe, and what does that do? i am planning on putting in a tb, udp, and intake, but i do'nt know when all of that is going to happen
what is the difference between a borla, magnaflow, and flowmaster mufflers?

Intake:
mac cold air kit
focus sport
mac performance short ram
ice man
aem short ram
focus central

Under Drive Pulley:
focus central
afx
mac
focus sport

Throttle Body:
focus central
mac

for the intake, udp, and tb which brands would be the best? in the intrest of money i have looked at 2.5 with magnaflow or flowmaster, mac cold air kit, mac udp, and mac tb. but i'd probably only get either a cold air kit or a tb. which one would give me better performance? and about how much performance will i see out of all of this? thanks.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Borla = GREAT [:D]
magnaflow = good
flowmaster = bad

Borla is 2.5 and magnaflow is 2.25 unless you get them from trubendz then you can select what size you want, with those mods you could get a 2.25.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
exhaust go to www.trubendz.com just make sure whatever u get is stainless steel and at least 2.25" in diameter. difference in mufflers is only really sound, not much to do with power.

intake: volant is the best on the market IMO www.newedgeperformance.com and www.modernperformance.com if u dont get the volant get the aem long tube intake but also pick up the weather ram air shield from www.myfordperformance.com to protect yourself from water damage and to keep the filter cleaner. if u dont want to spend that much on either intake, get the mac short ram

pulley: afx dynoed to show best gains. www.newedgeperformance.com

throttle body: either or, focus central is the popular choice.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
for intake info see: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1737

i myself dont like teh Volant, the snorkelsystems just seem kind of construed for me, and on top of that it defeatsthe whole purpose of having a closed system to have a big hole on the side that sucks in hot engine air, which is what the intake is all about not doing, short rams for the money are OK, and work best at night and during the cooler periodsof the year, igues i really dont like any of the Focus' aftermarket intakes except for the rare ram air set ups (FC hood, and mine)

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
the second runner on the volant actually sits off to the side and goes right up behind the headlight, i highly doubt the engine affects the air coming through that a whole lot, no where near as severe as a no box naked ram air. the only reason i dont like the fc is because its dependant on one source of air through the snorkel like our stock system. out of all the intakes ive had on my car the volant is by far the most consistent and i dont have to worry about water damage cuz it gets wet and slushy out here in the winter.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Intake: like Euro said, the volant is the best but I got the AEM short ram and it works just fine for me. Nice sound and it works the best when the temps are cooler.
Exhaust: Magnaflow is 2.25 inches and that's what I've got. Make sure you get Stainless Steel. It has a nice sound especially when you downshift :)
UDP: I got the AFX cause I heard and read that it was the best. I don't have it installed at them moment.
T/B: The FC is what everyone one has and it's definitly worth your time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts