Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to say I was (and am) disappointed that the high end Focus do NOT have a manual transmission option.
The best class i could get was the SE, and am unhappy several of the more interesting luxury options were simply not possible with the SE.
So the question is:
IF all the levels: S SE SES and Ti had the manual transmission options, would your Focus with a manual tranny be a higher level version.
(like a SES or Titanium)
I would have purchased the same color, Yellow Blaze, with the Titanium level, the upgraded suspension.. and leather. (uncertain about the 18" wheels, but 17" yeah.. maybe 18" if it mattered..)

·
Registered
548 Posts
They did the market research and didn't think manual was a higher priority in the market. Something like 8 or 13% (idk why im pulling up those numbers but they are just coming to me for some reason) wanted a manual in a Titanium.

But then again, they also thought a 30,000 titanium wouldn't sell well in north america, but just look at how many Ti's there are on this forum. There will always be exceptions to the rule.

And it's odd, in Canada you can get a manual in an SEL. It isn't until Ti that they throw in the automatic as a default pick.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My manual SE wouldn't be a Titanium, but my Titatanium automatic might have been a manual. The standard and optional features on the Titanium were more important to me than getting a manual transmission, but I might have opted for the manual if it had been available in the Titanium. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have to say I was (and am) disappointed that the high end Focus do NOT have a manual transmission option.
The best class i could get was the SE, and am unhappy several of the more interesting luxury options were simply not possible with the SE.
So the question is:
IF all the levels: S SE SES and Ti had the manual transmission options, would your Focus with a manual tranny be a higher level version.
(like a SES or Titanium)
I would have purchased the same color, Yellow Blaze, with the Titanium level, the upgraded suspension.. and leather. (uncertain about the 18" wheels, but 17" yeah.. maybe 18" if it mattered..)
oh how i long for a manual titanium. the only reason why i went with SEL is because of the manual transmission. i loaded it up to a titanium equivalent minus the intelligent key access and the sport tuned suspension :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
The Ti is out of my price range, so the lack of manual has no impact on me. However, if I were looking for something in the SEL or Ti price range I would disqualify the Focus because of the lack of a manual transmission.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
No. Even if I had the money I wouldn't have bought a Ti or SEL. I'd rather buy another car priced similarly with better performance. I'm not much for fancy gadgets, they cost too much and don't work well.

That being said, I drive an auto SE sport, as it was what was on the lot. I'd have picked a manual had it been there, but it wasn't...so I didn't.

·
Registered
154 Posts
No. I wanted an automatic and I don't like the keyless start/stop at all.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I would have bought my Ti in stick, but it would have had to be a 6 speed. That was part of the deciding factor between getting a stick SEL or the Ti for me. 5 speed just doesn't cut it any more, especially when VW and Hyundai/Kia offer 6 speed sticks in their cars.

But it's too late now, I already bought my car. Still want a diesel though.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yes, we would have. The SE is a downgrade from most of our vehicles. I think it will be in the future years. And can't agree more on the 6 speed!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I would have bought my Ti with 6 speed manual if available. Like others, the other features of Ti were more compelling than dropping down for a 5spd manual.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
No. I'm definitely happy with my purchase. I don't need all the bells and whistles. The engine is the same and I plan on upgrading wheels and suspension anyway.

·
Registered
724 Posts
No, for a daily driver vehicle an automatic is more practical and easier to live with. Even the argument that a manual is more economical doesn't stand with the Powershift auto.

I see at least one new Focus everyday and for the most part they have all been SEs with steel wheels and hub caps. I can't recall seeing a Ti on the road at all and only a hand full of SELs. So the fact that Ford only offers the manual in the SE seems to be the right choice since the majority being sold at least in my area (Boston) are SEs.

·
Registered
781 Posts
No. My Titanium is my daily commuter to work and with mixed highway and city traffic I have no desire to have to worry about shifting. I've had several stick vehicles in the past and I'm long past driving stick because it's "fun" to me. I bought the vehicle for convenience and letting a computer manage the gear shifting for me (at the cost of all of 1-2 mpg) is part of the convenience.

I've tried the sport shifting mode twice, like other paddle shifters I've driven it's "fun" for all of 30 seconds. If I was going to go manual I'd get a real manual.

If a true manual were available and I were to do it all over again I'd still get an automatic for my purpose in purchasing this vehicle (my daily commuter and "run fast errands" vehicle). I have a SUV and a pickup for other purposes.

·
Registered
283 Posts
In Canada we will be able to get the Titanium with the 5-speed manual transmission.

I don't know of the date, but the Canadian brochures list the Titanium with a 5-speed transmission, followed by *late availability

My guess is that we will see them early next year.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought my Titanium despite it not having a stick...but it was a tough choice and I definitely put serious consideration into other options that would give me a stick. In the end I was unwilling to sacrifice all the toys that I could get in the Titanium for the stick....if Titaniums came with manual transmissions it would have been a no-brainer for me.

·
Registered
444 Posts
In Canada we will be able to get the Titanium with the 5-speed manual transmission.

I don't know of the date, but the Canadian brochures list the Titanium with a 5-speed transmission, followed by *late availability

My guess is that we will see them early next year.
If i would of known this i would of went to a Ti....

but being i needed a car ASAP, my SEL with MFT and the 17's and manual transmission is serving me just fine.

I just wish i head the black headlight and fog bezels :(

·
Registered
712 Posts
I LOVE driving a manual but would not want to give up gas mileage (so it would need to be a 6 speed like others have said.) The other thing I don't know if I can give up anymore is cruise control. I don't think you can get cruise with a manual can you?

·
Registered
223 Posts
No. I wanted the base stereo (no sync) in addition to the manual tranny. Don't want to deal with losing half the car's features upon replacing the stereo.

·
Registered
229 Posts
No. I was able to get everything I wanted (Sync, My Ford, Cruise Control) in the SE trim so giving up the manual transmission was not an option.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I had my heart set on the SEL. At the last possible moment I decided I wanted the 5-speed more than the SEL options.
Mostly, the 10 speaker Sony sound system. I could care less about the MFT.
Too gimicky for me.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts