Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
1fastfocus05
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 05 focus manual tranny...ive had the tranny rebuilt under warrenty 2 times...dont know what they done the 3rd time,,,well now its got about 20k miles on it and is still under warrenty,., got the 100k warrenty and im at 96k,,,so im taking it in soon,,,any ideas what could be the problem? problem is

when u start the car up and wait about 30 seconds and then try to put it in reverse it will grind the gear....if u,,,start the car and put it right into reverse it wont grind,,,but if u start the car and ure waiting on someone or looking for something in the car then deside to put it in reverse,,,,grrrrrrrrrinnnnnnd....only does it in reverse...i had a synicronizer go bad on the reverse gear last time they rebuild it,,,said it was done and went to get the car...grrrrrrrinnnnnd....so i let them have it back and i went right back home,,lol,,,anyways i think its the same problem now,,,if it is why dont they just put a new tranny in and stop rebuilding the damn thing..u would think it would be cheaper in the long run for them,,lol

·
Registered
459 Posts
How many manual transmission vehicles have you driven? Given the number of "LOL's" and generally BAD grammar, I would assume you are young, and the number would be fairly low. Learn how to drive a stick, kid... A manual trans./clutch should last a couple hundred thousand miles...

edit- another reason I KNOW you are young...under your name it says '1fastfocus05'. In no way shape or form, are these cars fast, nor will they ever be. They are Ford's ShitBox, Point A to point B. You think a Focus is fast? Wow...

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
How many manual transmission vehicles have you driven? Given the number of "LOL's" and generally BAD grammar, I would assume you are young, and the number would be fairly low. Learn how to drive a stick, kid... A manual trans./clutch should last a couple hundred thousand miles...

edit- another reason I KNOW you are young...under your name it says '1fastfocus05'. In no way shape or form, are these cars fast, nor will they ever be. They are Ford's ShitBox, Point A to point B. You think a Focus is fast? Wow...
It's funny how you "assumed" an say he's young but yet he's 5 years older than you. A 04 stock SVT focus can beat a 04 Stock mustang GT, with my 2.3L an the mods i have i can pull away from a new mustang threw 1st, 2nd, an half way threw 3rd.....because i have no top end after mid of 3rd gear.

Now for brandon i would say take it into the dealership or Mike at Hilbish an have them look it over.

·
Registered
105 Posts
wsigo. I find it disheartening that a member of the USAF can be so rude to another person asking for help. You should be ashamed. Also, since you are a relatively new member to this site, like me, I recommend you play nice. Otherwise, you might find yourself alone in a time of need for help from other far more experienced members. Just my two cents...

Reactions: Blackcatn2o

·
Registered
54 Posts
what a di-k wsigo

The poster is asking for some help from from us with his transmission problem. Take the car back to the dealership and have them try agaiare call the 1800 line and have them help you.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,785 Posts
My .02 try finding a shop that specializes in transmissions and ask them what they think it could be and calling the ford helpline is a good idea too.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts

How ignorant can a person be? Honest to goodness GTFO of this forum if you are going to behave like this.

If you knew anything about cars syncros don't just go bad for any reason. There is always a reason and typically not the users fault unless he is grinds through every single gear, stalls it, and just really doesn't know how to drive it. But honestly who is that idiodic? And learn how to drive a stick? I might understand if it was any gear but reverse but cmon man its reverse! Its not like there is any rev-matching to be done going into reverse.... Also you should know that our cars typically have problems with the pressure plates not disengaging the clutch all the way producing drag on the transmission and wearing on synchros, especially reverse. Honestly just keep your mouth shut next time and let people that actually care actually help the person out with their cars problem.

Now to the OP your car grinds going into reverse huh? Bad syncro. Does it have any trouble going into other gears? You might want to try just bleeding the slave cylinder to see if fresh fluid helps although if its been re-built so many times I would think the fluid would be good... What has it been rebuilt for in the past for? Same problem? I would just take it back and say there is another problem.

·
1fastfocus05
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
now as for the [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] that wrote i must be a kid? im almost 30 yrs old,,,and ive drove manual cars sense i was 16...im also a mechanic. although i do work on tractor trailers. i can drive a 10 speed....now what did u say? idiots,,,lol,,,anyways, yeah i have had the same problem before with this car and it was a syncro....right after they rebuilt it i was not able to get it into gear though when i went to pick the car up,...was said to be fixed but not..so they took it back apart,...and finally got it fixed...it does not grind in any other gear exsept reverse...thanks guys for all the advice and backup,,lol,,,this idiot probably dont even have a focus...lol. im going to run it by mikes shop,,,i just did not want to end up paying them to find out that its something else wrong with it thats not under warrenty...

·
Registered
872 Posts
I think that there may be something else going on here other than being strictly a reverse synchro problem. Particularly since this is a repeat issue. With the car stationary and putting the tranny in reverse (or any gear for that matter) the synchro(s) is not really doing anything anyway or are they normally required to allow for non-clashing gear engagement. Notice that I said "really" doing anything, because there is (with the clutch engaged in Neutral) input shaft and idler gearshaft rotation ("spinup") that may take a few seconds to "spin down" when the clutch pedal is depressed and the clutch is disengaged. (Some cars have a "limit" or spec for this spindown time after disengaging the clutch in neutral and going into reverse without crunching). BUT, having said that, if the clutch is not fully disengaging when the pedal is depressed, the input shaft and idler gearshaft will still be driven and spinning, and if there is a synchro problem (or no reverse synchro like on some cars), gear "clashing" may result. Brandon0133, you may have a duff reverse synchro, but I would do what jetrinka has suggested. Also, do you have a "lot of" (more than about 3/4") pedal freeplay?

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,785 Posts
If it doesn't get done right the first time do it yourself. That is if you think you can do transmissions I don't know what all you work with as a mechanic. I hope you can figure this out I'm kind of curious did you try adjusting shift linkages maybe. I have to say that could be a possibility. Good Luck!

·
1fastfocus05
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have not done any work to it yet...i have done many transmissions on trucks,cars and even a school bus,,lol,,plus i used to part out focus cars on here so ive probably pulled 15 transmissions from them,...i dont know to much about the linkage cables although i have removed plenty of them..never done any work on the car exsept normal things like oil changes sense its under warrenty

·
1fastfocus05
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
but if i take it to ford and they say just by looking at it that its a syncro and they tear it apart,,,if they find its something else then am i stuck with the bill or sense they thought it was something else they have to atleast put it back together??

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,785 Posts
You should be able to adjust a linkage by yourself and they couldn't say that it all your fault but messing with the transmission they would probably make you pay the bill.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
HAHAHAHA... talk about unexperienced... you talk about a focus that cant be fast.. you pick a car and bring it into my neck of the woods and im sure i can show you a focus thatll eat it up if not mine.. I promise you... YOU are the one that is unexperienced...

as for your tranny try putting some penzoil synchromesh fluid in it.. i had the same problem with my 3rd gear and i put that in it and for some reason.. problem fixed...

·
1fastfocus05
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
took it to ford,,they kept it due to bad syncro,,,gave me a rental car...2009 jeep wrangler 4 door,,,anyways the lady said it was xcovered under warrenty

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Sweet... and if i were you i would get it back and change out the fluid they put in it to the penzoil synchromesh.... every person i have every heard of using it says it does wonders... EVERYONE including me.... You can buy it at any autozone.. well at least down here.. if they dont have it in stock they can get it... its in a yello bottle.. but itll help you even with the new synchros... itll shift alot smoother and maybe make your synchros last longer... i was worried when i had those probs with my tranny that i was gonna have to replace my synchros i even had the royal purple in my tranny.. someone told me dump that s#&^ out and put in the penzoil.... and let me tell you ... it was like a whole new tranny.. Good luck...

·
1fastfocus05
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well i think im going to trade the car in on a new 09 focus soon as i get it back....i want a manual 2 door with sunroof....

·
1fastfocus05
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
just got it back, they put two new syncros in it and some brass rings and a few other parts,, i paid and got a new throw out bearing and slave cyc installed sense they had it apart...works pretty good now

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm a little worried about ford's manual transmissions. I have an 06 ST, and I'm facing my SECOND blown tranny. First one went at 105k miles, had a used one put it, and it just failed on me again (at 180k). I know I have a lead foot, but I don't abuse the transmission ( I think).
Is it me or the trials and tribulations of stop and go NYC driving? I'm thinking about the new ST, but if I'm looking at another $1500 blowout in a few years, I'm going the Fusion route instead.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts