Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 zx3 replaced clutch last year ran good till just the other day . It started to lunge on the start up and wouldnt go into gears while running when the car is off it goes into gears just fine it does this for a couple days then it works fine for a couple more days then it does it again im thinking that the cold weather might have something to do with it i have a new master to put in just want to make sure im in the right direction any help will be great thank you.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Sounds hydraulic related so you are on the right path, check everything before replacing anything to avoid wasting money. So you start your car in gear with clutch pedal pushed? Seems impossible, but does it also lunge if you're in neutral? Could be shifter/shifter cable issue as well if this happens when you think trans is in neutral. Try pumping the clutch a couple times when it's hard to grab a gear, might be able to build pressure and diagnose hydraulics more definitively.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Starts fine in neutral. I have tried pumping to get it in gear doesnt seem to help. Im gonna put the master in and bleed the system again and check the linkage if thats not it my other option is the throw out bearing thanks for the info

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Since we're talking about this in another thread, I'll add that double checking for clutch pedal return spring proper operation might help.

If the pedal isn't pulled back to the top at each stroke, it won't "pump" as it should & pedal can drop if the master isn't perfect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I changed the master yesterday and the clutch is still not holding i had another mechanic install the new clutch im sure he didnt change the slave not happy with the way he works so thats why im taking on this challenge atleast then i know whats getting done and done right just never done any work with transmission or clutches before

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats what my gut is telling me now the next question is the location what im seeing that it is in the gear box so that means i have to pull the tranny to get at it correct or is there a easier way to get it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well i finally got around to change the slave cylinder i went ahead and changed out the clutch and clutch plate to got it all back together and now it wont stay running when i start it up revs up to 6 grand then sputters and dies any ideas on what i did wrong

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
MASSIVE vacuum leak.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im gonna pull the battery and air box off and take a look to see if anything got knocked i forgot to connect one of the big wire connection and tried starting it would that throw something off it started after i did that but it starts high idel then dies

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Found the leak it was the little hard plastic tube under the egr got lucky on that find now the next question is the shift cable keeps popping off is there a replacement out there i cant seem to find one and could that be why im not getting a smooth shift

1 - 15 of 15 Posts