Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so yesterday I noticed that my shifter had an extreme amount of play and I could almost move it into gear without pressing in the clutch. After about 35 minutes of driving I shifted into fourth gear and it wouldn't come back out. I eventually was able to get it out of gear and back into neutral. Now whenever I shift down to second gear my shifter moves 2-3 inches to the right and i have to move it back to the left and then up to take it out of gear. I've taken it to the mechanic and I'm waiting for his call, but I wanted to know if anyone else has had this issue, or what could it be? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Shifter mech. or cables at the trans end are the most likely candidates for wear/breakage/looseness.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Shifter cables!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I just got of the phone with the mech and he said something had broken internally. Should be repaired tomorrow and I will update what exactly failed.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Ooooooo I wonder what that is going to cost. A mechanic will have to buy a new part to install instead of just putting a rigged roll pin in like I did. I bet this is going to be an $800 bill!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the cost is going to be about 430 dollars. I will update once I get the exact problem and the parts he replaced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts