Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I need the transmission fluid specifically from ford? Can I use 80-90 gear oil? Or does it have to be 75-90?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking at Royal Purples manual transmission cross reference chart they recommend SAE 10w-40? Can I use motor oil? Im so confused!!!!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The fluid that came out when I dumped the old was red. Should I use ATX transmission fluid? I know ford has announced a service bulitein on replacing it with mtx full sythetic?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've always used Motorcraft fluids... You can go wrong with what Ford specs...

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
> they recommend SAE 10w-40?

FYI, gear oil and motor oil use different viscosity measurement scales, i.e., 10w-40 motor oil viscosity is not that different from 75-90 Gear Oil.

SAE Engine Oil SAE Gear Oil

10w thru mid range of 20w = 75w

Mid 20w thru mid 30w = 80w

Mid 30w thru low 40w = 85w

Low 40w thru 50w = 90w

60w up = 140w

So the different viscosity numbers are not as odd as they might first appear.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Guys, WHY not go by the Ford dealer and buy the synthetic they sell??? Is it really that hard?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Ford started filling with their synthetic with the 03s, and back speced to older Focuses. They have a service bulletin on this. Go to ford and get 2 pints of their synthetic and use it. Too many who contribute are guessing, and that could be costly if followed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ford started filling with their synthetic with the 03s, and back speced to older Focuses. They have a service bulletin on this. Go to ford and get 2 pints of their synthetic and use it. Too many who contribute are guessing, and that could be costly if followed.
+1! I'm very pro Motorcraft.. 362,718 on my 2001 is why. All it ever got was Motorcraft fluids and filters. To me that says a lot..

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I did decide to get the Motorcraft fluid from Ford. And to be honest I am not impressed. I had read many posts about how peoples transmissions shifted really smoothly, but I only noticed a difference from 3rd to 4th gear. For the money and confusion I dont really think it was worth. Now if the transmission last longer than car because of the change than worth it, but I just dont know.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
So I did decide to get the Motorcraft fluid from Ford. And to be honest I am not impressed. I had read many posts about how peoples transmissions shifted really smoothly, but I only noticed a difference from 3rd to 4th gear. For the money and confusion I dont really think it was worth. Now if the transmission last longer than car because of the change than worth it, but I just dont know.

^^^ The Ford stuff is a high grade synthetic ( if you paid between 15-20 dollars a quart)... It also started with this fluid, which is very good. You are not going to see fireworks and have the earth shake as you are not upgrading at all, just replacing dirty, worn-down fluid ( yes it does wear out).

1 - 20 of 39 Posts