Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Focus with a 5 speed manual and I was just told by the dealer that I need my clutch replaced (at about 45,000 miles). Cost is going to be about $1100.

I don't drive the car too aggressively so I'm not sure why the clutch wore out so soon (with one caveat - see below). My only other experience owning a manual was with a late model Pontiac Sunbird with a getrag 5, and I seem to remember not needing a clutch replacement on that until after 100,000 miles.

How long does a clutch typically last in this transmission? I know it depends to a large extent to driving habits, but I'm curious to know what experience other drivers with this transmission have had (I've seen some references saying 40-60K is typical).

I suspect that if mine wore out abnormally early, it is because of how I've been interacting with the car shutoff routine (push button start/stop). I have accidentally dumped the clutch and stalled the car probably 20 or 30 times in the last couple of years because I roll into a parking spot, hit the start/stop button, then put the car in gear and drop the clutch, thinking the engine is off. Because I am still technically in motion when I hit the stop button, the engine doesn't shut off so I end up stalling the car. Exacerbating this problem is that the car is quiet so I don't have an audio cue that the engine is still running, especially if the radio is on. I've learned to be really careful and make sure the engine is truly off before I drop the clutch when I'm parking.

Thanks!

·
Registered
737 Posts
that seems really pre-mature to me, unless it's giving you issues. Not familiar with what trans is used on the new ones, but I've had several standards, and haven't had to replace a clutch yet. My old focus has 155K miles on it, original clutch, no issues. and i abuse the hell out of it.

New focus (2008) has 80K on it, no signs of issues.

45k just seems like not a lot of miles to me, but I may be wrong?

·
Jetsetter
6,650 Posts
Did you take the car to the dealer because of a clutch problem? Did they say why it needed to be replaced? It sounds like the dealer is trying to drum up some work. Some members have gotten 150-200k out of their original clutch in older foci. And unless you are having problems with it then I wouldn't do a thing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took it in because of an intermittent acceleration problem (hard to explain but the short version is the car wouldn't accelerate normally - it would almost act like it was in 3rd when I was 1st, or 4th when I was in 2nd). I don't think the mechanic was able to reproduce that effect (intermittent) but he said the clutch was showing wear and though that was either the reason (or at least contributing) so he recommended a new clutch. I authorized them to take a look and when he did, he said the clutch needed replacement, but that it was normal wear and not covered by warranty.

When I asked the dealer how long clutches normally last in those transmissions, they couldn't tell me.

The acceleration problem was dangerous enough that I took it into the dealer hours after it first happened, so unfortunately I wasn't really able to observe it over time and try to lock down what was causing it.

As an aside ... I've had intermittent problems with the trans over the last year or so - lots of mild shuddering especially in cold weather and (very) occasional jerkiness. I would have had those things looked at a lot earlier but they were either mild or occasional. Also, the fact that I was occasionally dumping the clutch and stalling the engine while parking was, I'm sure, not helping matters.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I'll talk to them about it. The way they described it to me was that "if we open it up and find something wrong with it, we'll cover it under warranty, but if we find that it looks like normal wear, you have to pay". I'm surprised that it isn't just covered under warranty automatically, too.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
my mtx75 clutch lasted for 145k miles. and I'm a freqeunt autocrosser.

there are tests you can do yourself to see if the clutch is slipping (do you have a tachometer?)

if not slipping, dont need a clutch

·
w/ my magic bag
29,394 Posts
This tells me it's fine and they just want your money. because if it was truly worn out and needed replacing, it would be covered under warranty.

My $0.02.
Clutch wouldn't be covered by warranty w/ those miles, similar to tires. Could be he beat on it, they'd say or be thinking.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Don't hear anything that sounds like a worn out clutch in the problem descriptions.

Dumping it regularly to stall it doesn't help, and could contribute to occasional shuddering until you use it normally again for a while - BUT it won't wear it out.

It takes LOTS of clutch slipping to wear it out early, unlikely in normal driving.

Acting like it's in a higher gear sounds like an engine operation problem, clutch worn would be the opposite effect of revving up without moving proportionately in higher gears. Acting like in a high gear is NOT revving up.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Did you buy the car new? Or used? If used the previous owner might not have known how to properly drive a manual, and could have slipped the clutch big time, causing it to heat up and get heat check marks in it. But honestly, it kind of sounds like their throwing parts at it. The only other thing that comes to mind would be clutch adjustment is way off. Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
269 Posts
What you describe, the car accelerating in 2nd gear like it's in 4th gear, sounds like a slipping clutch. Have you ever lent your car to ANYONE to drive it? Do you ride the clutch at all? I have 55k of fairly aggressive use on my 2012 clutch and no issues.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

·
Captain TMI
21,235 Posts
Get a second opinion from another Ford Dealer.

Your symptoms are not indicative of a bad clutch, but sound more like a problem with the shift tower. I think some of the problem with this bad diagnosis is the way that some dealers pay their mechanics and service advisors. Finding another dealer might solve the problem. I had to fire the first dealer when my wife's car needed updates.

·
Registered
269 Posts
What leads you to think it's a bad shift tower? What could go wrong in there that would cause those symptoms?

Get a second opinion from another Ford Dealer.

Your symptoms are not indicative of a bad clutch, but sound more like a problem with the shift tower. I think some of the problem with this bad diagnosis is the way that some dealers pay their mechanics and service advisors. Finding another dealer might solve the problem. I had to fire the first dealer when my wife's car needed updates.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
There's a fairly simple repair seen occasionally on older ones so far where the roll pin connecting shift mech. parts to the shaft gets damaged/broken. The result starts as sloppy shifter feel and can result in complete loss of shifting.

Whynot might be thinking that the occasional acting like it's in the wrong gear could actually be from BEING in the wrong gear when the shifter doesn't work as it should.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Do you feel the shuddering while in gear and driving, or while letting out the clutch pedal? A bad throw out bearing can cause a very nasty shudder while letting the clutch out.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I took it in because of an intermittent acceleration problem (hard to explain but the short version is the car wouldn't accelerate normally - it would almost act like it was in 3rd when I was 1st, or 4th when I was in 2nd).
"Intermittent" implies that your car may often exhibit no acceleration problems which makes it unlikely that it is clutch related.

There is a known (intermittent) acceleration problem that is directly related to the PCM (i.e. it has nothing to do with the clutch).

Did the dealer confirm that the PCM calibration (firmware) is up to date?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Just for reference, I replaced my first Focus clutch at 320 000kms because one of the synchros broke. The clutch disc still had about half its wear left, but it seemed sensible to replace it since the tranny was cracked open anyway.

The second Focus I bought used, and replaced the clutch at 275 000kms...with the clutch plate I took out of the original Focus, since it only had 75 000kms on it. It's still running fine at 592 000kms. So that plate has lasted about 400 000kms. That's about 250 000 miles.

Now, I do a lot of highway mileage, but I also engine-brake all the time, and load my Focus like it's a truck.

If they want you to pay for it, ask to see the old clutch disc and have them show you how much it's worn compared to a new one. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts they can't do it.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Just for reference, I replaced my first Focus clutch at 320 000kms because one of the synchros broke. The clutch disc still had about half its wear left, but it seemed sensible to replace it since the tranny was cracked open anyway.

The second Focus I bought used, and replaced the clutch at 275 000kms...with the clutch plate I took out of the original Focus, since it only had 75 000kms on it. It's still running fine at 592 000kms. So that plate has lasted about 400 000kms. That's about 250 000 miles.

Now, I do a lot of highway mileage, but I also engine-brake all the time, and load my Focus like it's a truck.

If they want you to pay for it, ask to see the old clutch disc and have them show you how much it's worn compared to a new one. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts they can't do it.
Hows the rust on your car? haha that many miles in ontario,

1 - 20 of 28 Posts