Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to do my best to explain this. On a super cold morning, even after I let it run for 10min to warm up, it took every muscle in my body to get the transmission into any gear. Also, the clutch had almost no resistance to it. I had to push it all the way to the floor so I could muscle the gears. Once drove it for about for about 30min, it was back to normal. (since this happened, I haven't driven the car).
I went to Auto Zone and a guy there explained to me about some shaft that goes in & out of the tranny and the grease that is used on it gets hard overtime. He said if you take the inspection plate off the tranny, you can re-grease the shaft. Can someone elaborate? I searched the forum but didn't see anything about it. I searched the owners manual about tranny fluid and it says "if equipped." But not sure to tell if mine is equipped.

Thanks in advance!

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
huh, I was expecting you to be in a colder climate than Texas. So I take "super cold" as maybe 30 degrees, lol.

I would say if you have not changed the trans fluid that may help. The Ford "honey" is recomended, dealer only far as I know.
Here is the How-To --> http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162394

May also be the shifter cables need to be adjusted. The do slip ocasionally.
Here is that How-To --> http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174866

If either of those do not help you may need new shifter cables. From what I can tell they are greased internally and the grease in there gets old and stiff. Mine are pretty bad after 8 years of heating and cooling and general abuse.

Worst case is a worn bearing or bent shift fork in the trans. That is something you'll end up having a shop do as you need to pull the trans, roughly a 8 hour job.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL Yes ... "really cold" is around 30. However, I am from Ohio so know the TRUE definition of really cold. I think "effin cold" is a better descriptor of Ohio winters, though ;)

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did it only happen when the car was running? My car has what could be described as the same problem but it has nothing to do with the tranny. My problem is that the clutch drags just a bit and it's hard to put into gear because the tranny is turning even with the clutch on pedal on the floor.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No ... it does it only on cold mornings. Once I've been driving for a while, it goes back to normal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts