Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 ZX3 with a manual trans and I would like to change the fluid. it has 55k miles, still runs good, and I would like to keep it that way. Dealer says I have to pull the axle to drain sump, but I think I can suction it out[???:)] . I dont know where the fill hole is at, does anyone have pictures, has anyone done this yet?

·
Registered
87 Posts
What is your dealer talking about? I must be missing something. I'm pretty sure your car has the mtx-75 and in that case the drain plug is on the bottom section of your tranny next to the mount and the filler plug is near the front of the housing. For refilling the fluid I just 3' of hose with a funnel at the end of it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i will take a look in the next day or so, now that I have a picture and know where to look.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
actually if you get the royal purple from massivespeedsystem (two bottles will do it) the bottle has a yellow squeeze top that will allow you to inject the trans fluid right in there,lol.
and all the holes are realtiely easy to get to under the car, so no worrys there. (i think they are torx heads but i cant remember the size. i did this in fall

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Just remember to remove the top, filler plug before removing the drain plug. It will drain better and, if you take out the drain plug first and then find you cannot get the fill plug out, you have an empty transmission and a problem. Much better to have a problem with a full transmission.

·
anti svt
2,731 Posts
actually if you get the royal purple from massivespeedsystem (two bottles will do it) the bottle has a yellow squeeze top that will allow you to inject the trans fluid right in there,lol.
and all the holes are realtiely easy to get to under the car, so no worrys there. (i think they are torx heads but i cant remember the size. i did this in fall
acctully you need 3 jugs not 2. it says in the manual that the mtx needs 2.2 quarts not just 2

·
Registered
788 Posts
2.1qts, you'll need 3 bottles. not sure what it sells for at massivespeedsystem, but If there's a Napa where you're located you can get 3qts. of royal purple for about 34 bucs, and while you're at it see if you can get the fill hose at advance auto, makes filling alot easier, and saves you a mess. And i belive its an 7 or 8mm torx head for the drain/fill plugs.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
massivespeed.com has them for 9.99.

It's cheaper than going and getting the motorcraft stuff from the dealership.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
anybody have a 2006 model? also has anybody tried AMSOIL trans fluid, I've used it in my other vehicles and never had a problem?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what fluid did you use to re-fill it. the manual says only 2 qts are required. Ive seen a white paper that doesnt give Royal Purple a good review. has anyone used another type of fluid?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
you can stick wit hthe motorcraft 1 or go out n explore...
all you need is the eight of the oil and go looking

for the fill hose. you can mkae 1 for about 3 or 4 dollar.... funnel1.50c, hose.49/ft n hose clamp >1.00

·
Registered
268 Posts
Another option of fluid for the trans is BG Syncroshift. I have it in my focus and used in my old talon. I also put it in a friends mustang. It improved shift quality in all 3 of these vehicles. May be a little harder to track down and it is a little pricey, but I have been very impressed with the results.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Motorcraft is about $20 at most Ford dealers. I'd rather put the spec oil in my trans

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The european Focus uses 5W-40 and there is an oil called European 5W-40 by AMSOIL, imagine that! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts