Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, well my room mate has had nothing but problems with his transmission

ok let me start,
ok first his clutch was fried... we changed that, now have a stage 2 ACT clutch in place. and the car was running like a champ.. you can bark the tires from 3 to 4.. it was amazing.

everything was running fine.. 1 month later the damn tranny crapped out. took it to ford and they fixed everything.. cant remember what it was..

when he got it back from ford he had no power like it did.. we thought that they might have taken out the clutch. but i remember they didnt touch the clutch, they said they fixed some other shit... i cant remember...

WELL now.. he has major problems.. he has no 2nd, 4th, or Reverse.. it started out to where those gears where spongy as hell but you could, after a few tries, get it into those gears.. but now when you shift into those gears its like not there and it just slides down then over to nuetral...

hes so depressed he doesnt know what to do..

what could be the problem? we called ford and asked but we were kinda given the run around... they said though its not the clutch.. its something else not thats not letting it go in to gear.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Could be synchro's. Either way...don't take any shit from the dealerships. Still under warranty or extended warranty?

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont know if its under warrenty.. its like right at the 36k mark or maybe over..

you know what i think that is what they were talking about.. what exactly is the snychro and what does it do?

btw, whats up man? havent heard from you in while...

·
Registered
348 Posts
Best I can recall, the synchros allow for smooth gear changes, allowing the parts involved to come together gracefully. When they go..you lose gears, or have a hell of a time getting things in or between gears. Someone please correct me if this is wrong.

Extended warranty covers all tranny issues. Bitch at the dealer that did the work before, take it up the chain if need be, see if they'll fix thier ****up...that thing should not have gone out like that...again. Other thing is maybe the driver.[:p]

Not much going on here man....finally got the head and cams in and got it on a dyno yesterday (see sig and earlier thread for results). Got one of my boys rolling down from DC today...with a focus. You busy later on? He'd dig your ride.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok that makes sense.. i keep telling him that he needs to bitch to ford that did the work for them to fix it.. because the first time they fixed it, it still broke down. ill talk with him tonight when i get home.. if they wont do it, how much would it be to fix out of pockect?

yeah im at work all day and night till 10pm.. im free tomorrow? you want to get together tomorrow? i would like to check out the scope sale they have going on. heard about it on tv? if you want to go with me we can ride out there together.. lmk

·
Registered
348 Posts
If he's still near or just over the 36k mark...service depts are usually pretty cool about warranty stuff. Unless they are cocksucking ass whores. I digress...

I have a feeling that since they did the work before, and fubard something, they may attempt to be hardasses. Option 1) throw down with the sevice manager and get it warrantied 2) go to another dealer 3) junkyard tranny and an independant mech or DIY.

Cost..well...not cheap I'd imagine. I'll guess 5-6 hours of est labor at the dealer. If there was ever a time to become an instant *******...now would be a good time. Tell him to take no shit.

Tomorrow sounds good...little wary of that show though. When to one similar in Raleigh, nothing but crap+an entry fee. Total waste of time. We'll figure something out!

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
first of all, a clutch doesn't give you any power gains. period. second, it sounds like he is abusing the transmission. rubber between 3 and 4?? give me a break. He would have to be bumping the rev limiter and dumping the clutch fast to even think of doing that. And that is abuse. It could be as simple as a cable adjustment to fix the problems. An improper adjustment won't put the gear fully into contact with the next gear. If he is speed shifting, and banging gears hard, it could make the cables go whack.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok well, right after the clutch was installed, it felt 10x better then the stock clutch.. it felt like more hp was freed up and put to the wheels. but who knows, wasnt my car so not my problem. he doesnt drop the clutch so you can drop that. but ill check on the cables.. good suggestion...

discord.. give me a call around 11pm tomorrow or give me a call around midnight at the house.. we can talk about it then.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Well I have experience in these issues, I need to know what other repairs were made to the trans, your descriptions of it are very poor. Please try to have more facts when asking for help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts