Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Manifold heat shield

517 3
I have a mk1 1.6 ztec and the heat shield above the manifold has rusted out can I remove it completely without causing damage to the other parts and above the manifold from the heat and is it a mot fail
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
So mote be it
9,563 Posts
This site is mostly North American based, we never saw the 1.6 here. If the shield is just separatong from the studs, if you can add wider washers in there, that can help hold down the shield. No clue what MOT covers but i dont know if they would be looking for a heat shield in a specific place or not (id guess no but no idea.)

I ran an aftermarket header that was ceramic coated for years without the heat shield in place. Then when i returned the car to stock i did not reinstall the heat shield again with the stock manifold. I ran it for several months that way and did not notice any issues related to the heat. Im not sure the orientation of your motor is or what else is near the exhaust that would be subjected to the heat. So you would need to ensure nothing is going to melt/burn/catch fire if you do remove the shield or cover/shield those items

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This site is mostly North American based, we never saw the 1.6 here. If the shield is just separatong from the studs, if you can add wider washers in there, that can help hold down the shield. No clue what MOT covers but i dont know if they would be looking for a heat shield in a specific place or not (id guess no but no idea.)

I ran an aftermarket header that was ceramic coated for years without the heat shield in place. Then when i returned the car to stock i did not reinstall the heat shield again with the stock manifold. I ran it for several months that way and did not notice any issues related to the heat. Im not sure the orientation of your motor is or what else is near the exhaust that would be subjected to the heat. So you would need to ensure nothing is going to melt/burn/catch fire if you do remove the shield or cover/shield those items
Thanks I didn't release this was mostly north America they wires /cables are not right above

·
Registered
19,047 Posts
It'll work if you restrain any plastic to 3 inches away if possible and consider how close fan assembly is to the manifold. Anything directly above manifold needs 6 inches. MOT should pass unless you have an obvious melting hazard from plastic or rubber too close to the manifold.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.