Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed my AEM CAI and man do I love it. My engine can breath now. It's like putting a breath right strip on your car. I love the note from it at about 4200 RPMS. But before I installed it I noticed a high pitched whistling noise that would disappear around 3k rpms, but now it is even more obvious and still disappears around 3k rpms.But it does it from idle to 3k. Does anyone know what it might be. It's not the intake cause it was doing it long before I put it on.

·
SVT Fanatic
2,615 Posts
well if it's not the intake since it was doing it before the intake install, i would say a vacuum leak

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's really frickin annoying and I can't figure it out. I know this is gonna sound dumb, but where can I check for vacuum leaks.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
yeah, what ^^he said. but if the whistle appeared after installation.....rock the whistle! be one with the whistle. oh and make sure that the PCV tube is well connected to the intake tubing. if not, you will suck raw, unfiltered air. thats not good.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't want to be one with the whistle. The whislte pisses me off. I want the whistle to stop whistling.

·
Registered
545 Posts
[rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl]

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
wakeboardjl said:
I don't want to be one with the whistle. The whislte pisses me off. I want the whistle to stop whistling.

Mine actually just started whistling a bit this morning. It is very quiet but it's def a whiste. Your not alone! lol

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, that one works, but it's one of those things where you still know it's there, even if you can't here it so it still bugs the hell out of you.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Its not a vac. leak....[8]

...the AEM due to its design sounds like a turbo. There's something at the throttle body that makes it more pronounced with the CAI. Its not an issue, just an inherent trait.

FYI, get a TB from CFM it cures it and the response is better.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
sigh, look inside your throttle body, you'll see a small lip. That makes a whistling sound as air goes over the top of it.

Get an aftermarket TB like the FC 65mm number and you'll have no sound at all. I miss my whistle though, it always scared the honda's to death - they thought it was a turbo spooling because I'd put the throttle down just enough to where it was nice and loud, then punch it and leave them behind. Boy were they always pissed when I'd pop open the hood for them to see a stock engine.

·
SVT Fanatic
2,615 Posts
mike 1 said:
Its not a vac. leak....[8]

...the AEM due to its design sounds like a turbo. There's something at the throttle body that makes it more pronounced with the CAI. Its not an issue, just an inherent trait.

FYI, get a TB from CFM it cures it and the response is better.
he said it's been happening before the intake was installed knuckle head! that's why i mentioned a vac leak. mine whistles too, when i first hit the gas after shifting and at high RPMS when i give it more gas, it's due to the intake cuz it never happened before i installed.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
you don't need an intake to get the whistling sound, it just gets louder with the intake. If you think you didn't have it before it's just because with the stock airbox you never had the throttle open to the right position as enough air was going through the TB.

It's 99.9% the throttle body, not a vacuum leak.

sorry about the double post, not sure how I missed Mikes'

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
The reason our TB's whistle like that is due to the design of the butterfly in the TB. If you look at it closely you will notice the top of it is "V" shaped. For what reason I don't know but the whistle doesn't bother me .... hell I don't even notice it most of the time because I am so used to it. LOL ...... anyway, grats on the AEM CAI, I absolutely LOVE mine and will never part with it! lol

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
yep, i have an AEM short intake on my zx3 and it whistles too, it's kinda funny if i'm hard on the throttle and i shift at about 4500 it sounds like blow off HAHA

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^^^ that's not the whistling noise I am talking about. I know about the one that happens when you first step on the gas when it starts sucking in more air, I am talking about one that is constant. And coming from my engine not my intake. But thanks for the help, looks like I need a new throttle body cause that noise is to apparent for me. I can still hear it over my radio when the volume is at 10.

·
Registered
666 Posts
svt2nv04 said:
he said it's been happening before the intake was installed knuckle head! that's why i mentioned a vac leak. mine whistles too, when i first hit the gas after shifting and at high RPMS when i give it more gas, it's due to the intake cuz it never happened before i installed.
I'll be quiet. [:(!]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts