Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bit of a read, and a how-too if you all are interested. Not too in depth, but i still have the other headlight to do today, so ill try to get more shots of the process.

I picked up a set of these headlights about a month ago, and hooked them up after my attempt at making my own bi-xenon headlights failed. The output on these is pretty horrid, even aimed correctly, the light didnt throw much past 30' in front of the car.

So, finally getting the right parts in from Theretrofitsource.com, i set to making some changes.

Step 1: remove headlight and prepare for retrofit

Step 2: Heat in oven, and pop off headlight lens.

Step 3: Remove old projector revealing mounting spot for new HID projector.

This is where i stopped taking pictures, but in effect, i pulled out the halogen projector, and replaced it with the bi-xenon projector.. I had to drill new holes, but it didnt take much work to make them fit.

EXTRA BONUS: I took the halogen reflector, and cut out the cut-off plate. I then took out the reflector high-beam bit, and replaced it with the open halogen projector. Now, with simple lowbeams, the bi-xenons throw great output, but when i throw the high beams on, the bi-xenons pull out their cutoff plate, and the halogen projectors come on as well. The output from one light alone is stunning.

A few other mods i did while i was at it was to disable the two leds between the halos on the housing itself. Not only did it darken the front end of the car, it made the halos look that much meaner.

End result: (night pix coming soon)

More Pics to come as i do the other!

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wish granted:

my cell-phone camera doesnt really do it justice, but the output is awesome. Then i hit the high-beams, and its like angels descending from heaven.

Beams off, driving lights only:

Low beams only:

High beams + fogs:

low beams + fogs POV: (car is parked at an angle, plus lights are angled slightly)

high beams + fogs POV:

Sadly, my phones camera automatically adjusts the brightness of the picture for more clarity, so you cant see how epicly bright these are. But i assure you, the output DWARFS that of every car on my block combined.

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
Nice. I am getting those same lights and was looking to do the same. Which kit did you get from the retrofit source? Would help immensely in being sure of getting the right one.

Thanks

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i used the morimoto mini d2s, but i reccomend using the H1, as they arent as bulky at the rear. Makes fitment easier.

I will say it wasnt an easy job, getting the bulbs aligned while keeping them in the right place in the housing takes quite a bit of work, and i worked from about 8-2 one night adjusting, reassembling, testing, popping apart, adjusting, reassembling, etc. until i got it right.

Even now, the lights arent perfectly aligned, but i cant expect OEM finish on an ebay headlamp, so im content with the results. A few of the socal guys i met at the drag-strip today will tell you though, they are great output.

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
So these are the 35 watt stage 3 kits with no shrouds.? Definitely more pics as you do the next one. What temp did you bake these lights? Still think it's funny the hid kit is about twice the $$ as the housings(if I was looking at right kit$265). But it gives you a nice black housing with great light output. Will be traveling down this path myself soon. Again nice job!

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So these are the 35 watt stage 3 kits with no shrouds.? Definitely more pics as you do the next one. What temp did you bake these lights? Still think it's funny the hid kit is about twice the $$ as the housings(if I was looking at right kit$265). But it gives you a nice black housing with great light output. Will be traveling down this path myself soon. Again nice job!
I turned the oven to 400 degrees and set them in there for about a minute with the door open. The glue on these isnt as bad as the OEM headlights, so it was alot easier to get open.

The projectors are the morimoto mini D2S projectors which are small enough to fit. They came with shrouds, but the setup i have doesnt require the shrouds to be installed, so i have them sitting here at my desk.

The total cost of doing this is right about at $350. For that price, you can get a decent set of Machs, but i wanted to be different and what i ended up with has much better output, and IMO looks a little meaner.

I didnt get pictures of the other housing, as i put it together the next day. But i can say that it wasnt too bad. The only trouble is the balancing act of getting the projectors to fit in the housings, while maintaining the aim.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bumping thread with relevant info:

Here's a comparison of the output. I went to a family's avocado ranch out here in CA, and waited for it to get hella dark, then snapped some pics of the difference in output. My camera isnt the best, and it isnt quite as adept at night pictures as id like, but once you see the contrast, well.. you will understand.

Halogen Projectors (these are as powerful as the stock halogens that came with the headlights but are not as omnidirectional, either way, you can see the output isnt great. These are full beams, so no cutoff plates.

This is low-beams on the bi-xenons:

And this is high-beams:

Again, my cellphone isnt a pro-grade camera, and obviously the halogens arent as bad as they look, but i can say that the bi-xenons are even brighter than they appear as well.

·
Registered
262 Posts
When you removed the stock projector, did it also remove the CCFL halo? and when you bought the new projectors did you get the one with the halo option? And do you know if the 50w would be do-able the way you did it or would it be different?

sorry for all the questions, Im a total noob at car lighting.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The halos are part of the actual bezel, and are not removable without serious custom fabrication. All i did was pop open the lights. Take out the projectors, some minor trimming, and put in the new bixenon projectors in place. Then, i took off the old reflector high beam bits, and put the other projectors in there after removing the cutoff plate.

What i did is completely doable with a 50w setup, though im not sure its necessary, my 35w system produces more light than 6 cars combined on high beams.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm only interested in the 50w lights due to a paranoia of mine, a story that's rather funny, but scared the crap out of me. While driving at night I hit a dead cow. I was on a 4 lane road at night and my stock headlights failed to show me this oversized speed bump. Didn't see what was on the road til I was darn near on top of it. Didn't have enough time to react before I hit it goin 70mph. Sent my poor little focus a foot or two in the air. The car jolted hard and all the stuff I had (I was on a long trip) was scattered about the cabin. I thought I had totaled my car, but the only sign anything had happened was blood and a chunk of meat hanging off the rear suspension area. I consider myself lucky, and in dire need of better headlights.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I'm only interested in the 50w lights due to a paranoia of mine, a story that's rather funny, but scared the crap out of me. While driving at night I hit a dead cow. I was on a 4 lane road at night and my stock headlights failed to show me this oversized speed bump. Didn't see what was on the road til I was darn near on top of it. Didn't have enough time to react before I hit it goin 70mph. Sent my poor little focus a foot or two in the air. The car jolted hard and all the stuff I had (I was on a long trip) was scattered about the cabin. I thought I had totaled my car, but the only sign anything had happened was blood and a chunk of meat hanging off the rear suspension area. I consider myself lucky, and in dire need of better headlights.
[histerical] WTF that's hilarious, unfortunate, and absolutely the strangest story I've heard in a while.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I've got the same housings and seeing this makes me want to retrofit. The lenses on my projectors now look like they have scratches on them which disappoints me and the light output is not the greatest at all. Though i modded mine to leave the low beam on when i turn the high beams on and my fogs stay on so i have 6 beams facing forward for when i really need it. I have noticed that my passenger light the high beam reflector and the low beam projector look to have shifted to the side a little bit throwing the beam off. (suspect the screws have broken or become loose). One day i'll have to open them up and look at them but if i do that i might as well retrofit them.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts