Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just take out your bottom half of your intake box out. then get a strap, then strap the filter to the top half. u can hear it suck in air. it sounds really good when you rev it up. but i can't hear it while driving because my exhaust is to loud.

·
Registered
427 Posts
now paint your valve cover![headbang]

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
No offence man, not knocking your work, but that will make less power by sucking in more engine compartment hot air. I know you added that hose, but its still in an open-air location with mostly engine heat. Like i said, dont take offence to that, just suggesting what would work better.

·
Registered
454 Posts
you couldve just cut the side walls of the air box that way you didnt have to use a strap plus youd still have some support.

·
Registered
776 Posts
when i saw the first pic, i thought you were gonna leave the filter where it is and I was thinking OMFG he can't be serious....

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
No offence man, not knocking your work, but that will make less power by sucking in more engine compartment hot air. I know you added that hose, but its still in an open-air location with mostly engine heat. Like i said, dont take offence to that, just suggesting what would work better.
^^x2

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'm not leaving it like this. i just got bored and did it.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
i agree with the people above^^

you are better off just getting a CAI...or just doing a stealth intake like me if money is an issue

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
That or, get a stock svt setup, been dyno proven to out flow everything out there, even with a stock filter.

·
Registered
75 Posts
how about taking a cheap SRI off ebay, and a cheap small hood scoop, mount the hood scoop backwards over the intake so the opening is facing the windshield, cut a hole in the hood, and build a small air dam around the filter, or even modify the stock air box... ive been thinking this would bring more cold air to the filter with out the possibility of water loggin the motor

not sure but just something i was thinking about

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
how about taking a cheap SRI off ebay, and a cheap small hood scoop, mount the hood scoop backwards over the intake so the opening is facing the windshield, cut a hole in the hood, and build a small air dam around the filter, or even modify the stock air box... ive been thinking this would bring more cold air to the filter with out the possibility of water loggin the motor

Couple your idea with the FS CoolFlo and you've got a good idea...

·
Registered
764 Posts

its a good idea, i just hate the look of hood scoops..

·
Registered
75 Posts
i dont really put look factor into my cars, im more for the performance of what i put in

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ur idea is sim to mine. i was going to flip the top half of the air box so it would face the hood. then cut a whole for the filter. but if it rained it would suck up all the water. i'm trying to come up with something to cover it up when it rains. but if i covered it up too much it might starve it of air.

·
Registered
75 Posts
thats were the reverse hood scoop comes in. just like stock cars do pretty much. got the idea from my buddies camaro super stock

·
Registered
231 Posts
Modifying an airbox is fine. If done right can be stylish :) Like, cut out a few strips at the base, put in some mesh, paint the mesh gunmetal and it could be a pretty fly idea.

But, I'm not gonna give praise to someone using a coathanger to strap a K&N the bottom of the air box.

The hood Idea, sounds great. Aslong as the person doing it took there time and did it tastefully. Not just a hack and slash job.

·
Registered
73 Posts
the point of an intake is eliminating the stock the tube not just the filter. by Using a Mendrel bent Pipe you are eliminating the restrictions that the stock tube creates.

If this works for you then great but i seriously would not use this

·
Registered
75 Posts
i already got a SRI, and im seriosly thinking about getting a small scoop, but then ill hafta paint my car cus i couldnt deal with a multi colored car haha

1 - 20 of 21 Posts