Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was woundering if anyone knew how to make an automatic shifter look like a standard. I know they seel a kit for a Honda, butI couldnt find anything for a focus.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Auto Zone sells an auto shift knob......all aluminum with the shift button on the top. You have to relocate the O-D switch somewhere.

I considered the thing....but it is too awkward to hit the button with your thumb.

I did buy a manual shift boot at Auto Zone.....black with red stitching. Goes on my '06 and looks nice. Just can't see what gear you're in....no big deal.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hey, welcome to FF! I am just curious though, if you want your car to look like a manual and you have a new '08 why didn't you just get a manual?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ha well you see....

I didnt know how to drive a standard and I didnt wanna mess up a brand new car trying to learn, go figure that three weeks after i got it my friend took me out in his elcipse and tought me it took me like 15min to learn and get good at it.
Lets just say Im not happy about it.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I didnt know how to drive a standard and I didnt wanna mess up a brand new car trying to learn, go figure that three weeks after i got it my friend took me out in his elcipse and tought me it took me like 15min to learn and get good at it.
Lets just say Im not happy about it.
man that bites, yeah the focus's manual tranny isnt very hard to drive, but looking at it from a traffic standpoint you made a good choice.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Lol! I didn't make that good decision this was my first manual! However like you said it wasn't really too hard and I still have yet to grind any gears and I was nervous as hell in the stop and go traffic of the city [driving] but I got over it quick and now its like nothing.[woot]

·
Registered
889 Posts
actually driving manual is not as hard as it seems to, when i was getting my manual, i kinda knew how to drive manual but not really..but oh well couple of days later i was flying all over town without any problems :)

·
Fist Pumpin' Champ
2,891 Posts
bro its a good car to learn on. my 08 is my first car, and its stick. took about 2 weeks to fully understand how to do it, then another 2 weeks to get the motions down.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
The best thing to learn on I belive is a motorcyle or dirt bike, since you have finer control with your hand, you can control the clutch and throttle better and have a good understanding of what it feels like before the clutch grabs and can get a good feel of what killing it starts to feel like before it happens. Yes I know that they are totally diffrent though, but you will go into driving a car a with a lot better understanding. The first vehical I used with a clutch was a 200cc dirtbike, now I have a 650cc dual sport bike, which totally rules to shift through the gears on, since i can basically out accelerate just about any car, and of course I have my focus, in fact I have never owned a vehical with a auto.

But to make a Auto look like a standard, I would just add a shift boot and get rid of the plastic saying what gear your in (you can see that on the dash cant you?), I would even keep the OEM shift knob since no one will really even be able to tell, unless they are just really interested.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Lol! I didn't make that good decision this was my first manual! However like you said it wasn't really too hard and I still have yet to grind any gears and I was nervous as hell in the stop and go traffic of the city [driving] but I got over it quick and now its like nothing.[woot]
Lol, really? But...you haven't grinded any gears YET ;)

I've grinded a few gears in my time...It pisses me off whenever i did it but i just can't help but laugh at myself when i do.

And yeah...manuals aren't as hard as it may seem...it's just the intimidation factor of the 3rd pedal and people's fears of stalling while in traffic or even when not in traffic.

But like grinding gears...stalling is just another little "bonus" of driving a manual.

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
There is a how to about this somewhere I believe.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Lol, really? But...you haven't grinded any gears YET ;)

I've grinded a few gears in my time...It pisses me off whenever i did it but i just can't help but laugh at myself when i do.

And yeah...manuals aren't as hard as it may seem...it's just the intimidation factor of the 3rd pedal and people's fears of stalling while in traffic or even when not in traffic.

But like grinding gears...stalling is just another little "bonus" of driving a manual.
lol Yes its true I have YET to grind any gears but I did however stall quite a bit at the beginning. The trouble I had was not putting on enough gas once I was letting off the clutch. I suppose I will grind gears sometime when I don't really expect it...I just meant I haven't yet *knock on wood* !!!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
haha just be ready if you do cuz itll most likely happen. any person will tend to get cocky sometimes and halfway shift then...oopsss...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Lol, I can't wait...

·
Registered
202 Posts
[thumbd] Boo.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts