Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old APC shit indiglo gauges had a short in them. (I had a local shit shop install them a year or so ago.) So I bought new gauges yesterday from some guy from Sistersville. They worked fine on my way home, except I had no light on behind the gauges when I turned my headlights on, but that's normal. The bulb isn't burned out because with the APC gauges it would come on occasionally. So I tried to fix it: big mistake. There were two wires coming from the switch that turns my lights on, one was black and one was red, and they were connected to a transformer or so I'm told. Going into the same side of the transformer were the four wires coming from the switch that controlled the indiglo gauges. Coming out from the transformer were the two wires going to the indiglo gauges themselves. So I went in there and cut everything thinking that I could just connect the black and red wires to the new gauges somehow. That didn't work. In fact, nothing works now. The speed and rpms don't show up, and even my miles are replaced with a "------". Basically I have no clue what to do. Can someone help this retard out?

This is the multi plug coming from the headlight switch. Should the red and black wires on the left be soldered the way they are?

And here's the transformer where the black and red wires were connected to. The four wires going into the transformer at the same place as the black and red wires on the left (blue and gray) went to the switch for the indiglo's. The white wire coming from the other end went to the indiglos.

·
Registered
308 Posts
poor soldering? duct tape?? exposed leads???
i don't know where that rats nest of wires is supposed to go, but whoever did that for you initially should be slapped. i would say draw yourself a diagram of what's connected to what, then rip it all apart and start from scratch.

technically solder is the most solid connection you can get. but radioshack has wire couplers that crimp down onto the leads that hold just fine, and look volumes better than a joint someone dropped an ass-ton of liquid solder onto.

we all come here because the focus is our baby, so do her right or don't do her at all [thumb]

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, I'm never going back to the place that did this, and I'm going to deter everybody I can from going there. I got everything fixed now. I just cut the black and red wires where they were soldered and reconnected them to where they were supposed to go. Hahaha, I posted that pic for other people to be able to help me, but I figured it out about ten seconds after looking at it. Thanks though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts