Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m at 85 Thousand miles on my 2013 focus, about to hit 86. It is a N/A 2.0 Duratec. I was wanting to see good maintenance procedures to keep it running for a while, or any problems known to happen with these engines and basic preventative maintenance. I try to keep the oil changes around 5K, Never seen the maintenance required warning pop up before. It also has the DSP6 Transmission, which I have completed a drain and fill with the Dual clutch fluid at 70K.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Check your owner's manual, of course. No big problems with the engine if you maintain it, and you already know about the trans issues. Around 100K, I did a coolant drain/fill (repeated 10K miles later), spark plugs, and cleaned my MAF and TB. No problems at 140K.

·
Registered
2012 Focus SE hatchback black
1,242 Posts
Never seen the maintenance required warning pop up before
Why did you mention this? Has such a warning light lit up? Fords don't typically do this as far as I know as I've owned many and never seen such a light come on.
Like saintsfins said follow the schedule in the owner's manual. Plugs should be changed at around 100k. The air filter and cabin filter are often neglected these days as well.
A coolant change like mentioned is always a good idea and maybe the brake fluid too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Why did you mention this? Has such a warning light lit up? Fords don't typically do this as far as I know as I've owned many and never seen such a light come on.
Like saintsfins said follow the schedule in the owner's manual. Plugs should be changed at around 100k. The air filter and cabin filter are often neglected these days as well.
A coolant change like mentioned is always a good idea and maybe the brake fluid too.
My oil change reminder turns on...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I meant a oil reminder light, if thats such thing in the focus. Meaning I change oil earlier than the car is programmed, if it is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check your owner's manual, of course. No big problems with the engine if you maintain it, and you already know about the trans issues. Around 100K, I did a coolant drain/fill (repeated 10K miles later), spark plugs, and cleaned my MAF and TB. No problems at 140K.
What plugs should I run? I have autolite 104’s in there at the moment. I change them here and there and it runs amazing.

·
Registered
2012 Focus SE hatchback black
1,242 Posts
My oil change reminder turns on...
Well, yeah of course but he said a maintenance required light not an oil change specific one.
I meant a oil reminder light, if thats such thing in the focus. Meaning I change oil earlier than the car is programmed, if it is.
As already mentioned it is programmed in there and will come on eventually. The MK3 oil light comes on at 10k miles and if you run full synthetic then that's what you can safely stretch it out to.
It's kind of pointless to run copper core plugs in a modern direct injected NA engine. It's really just a waste of $(with multiple plug changes) and time too imo. Regular platinum plugs or double platinums are perfect for the 2.0L Duratec and would likely last for the rest of the life of the car. If you had an ST I'd say fine with copper core since turbo engines tend to benefit from them but a NA 2.0L not so much.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, yeah of course but he said a maintenance required light not an oil change specific one.

As already mentioned it is programmed in there and will come on eventually. The MK3 oil light comes on at 10k miles and if you run full synthetic then that's what you can safely stretch it out to.
It's kind of pointless to run copper core plugs in a modern direct injected NA engine. It's really just a waste of $(with multiple plug changes) and time too imo. Regular platinum plugs or double platinums are perfect for the 2.0L Duratec and would likely last for the rest of the life of the car. If you had an ST I'd say fine with copper core since turbo engines tend to benefit from them but a NA 2.0L not so much.
Yeah I just get the oil light. Nothing else special.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts