Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went in a few days ago and got my oil changed. The dealership recommended the following

Injector flush service
Throttle Body service
AC Evaporator service
Power brake flush

I have looked at the maintenance guide online and my book and I do not see these listed anywhere.

So what do yall think?

Thanks.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I went in a few days ago and got my oil changed. The dealership recomment the following

Injector flush service
Throttle Body service
AC Evaporator service
Power brake flush

I have looked at the maintenace guide online and my book and I do not see these listed anywere.

So what do yall think?

Thanks.
-I never do the injector service......I run a 10 or 12 ounces of techron( it is on sale a lot 2 for 1) though the tank a week before I do an oil change

-I clean my TB with TB cleaner once a year, when I change air filter and clean maf etc.........(it might be overkill)

-I would do the turkey baster(buy a new clean baster) method on your brakes a few times....

I cant speak for the ac evap service. I do not know what they do for that.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
How many miles on the car, and did they give you any reason for suggesting these? Dealerships like to sell these services because they can get one tech to basically do everything simultaneously, and then charge you however many hours they are supposed to take individually. It's a good money maker for them. They could end up *fairly* charging you for 6 hours labor + materials, and it might take the tech 1.5 hours to do all that.

If you don't have any driveability problems or complaints that these would specifically address and help, it's not worth it for you.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How many miles on the car, and did they give you any reason for suggesting these? Dealerships like to sell these services because they can get one tech to basically do everything simultaneously, and then charge you however many hours they are supposed to take individually. It's a good money maker for them. They could end up *fairly* charging you for 6 hours labor + materials, and it might take the tech 1.5 hours to do all that.

If you don't have any driveability problems or complaints that these would specifically address and help, it's not worth it for you.
No they just said they recommend them now, but next time they will be due, which was weird. I have no driveability problems at all. I get around 350 miles per tank on all free way driving, which comes out to about 30 mpg. When I do a lot of stop and go driving, I get around 250-275, which averages around 26 mpg or so.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I would have them explain what they are for, and why they will be "due" if they are not in the maintenance schedule. Our wagon had worn front brakes when we were buying it, the dealer took care of them as agreed in the sale. When I went back for the 20k mile service they told me I needed to replace the front brakes, and we went back and forth on it till I told them to leave them alone. They had turned the rotors but kept the grooved pads, then told me it was my responsibility the rotors wore grooved again. I got in touch with the service manager and he made it right. Sometimes you do need to be carefull what the service departments try to put over on you.

·
Registered
228 Posts
One could argue a Power steering flush is more important then any of those. Depending on the mileage if it has never been done it will come out like Chocolate pudding

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I had a 2004 Zetec wagon ran it to 183,000 [RIP by drunk driver]
Except for brake flush and power steering flush I never had any of this other stuff done
Oil change at 3,000 miles though

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I can almost guarantee you this list of services is recommended to everybody who comes in with a car over 2 years old.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What is AC Evap Service? Is that like "blow the dust out of the coils" - similar to our home units? Or do they replace them - even when they are working fine? I know living in Texas and the high humidity, car AC units fail often, so I'm currious if this would be a valid service of some kind.

·
Registered
505 Posts
The list you have is the same list we gave our customers when I was a service guy for Honda. Sure, brake fluid could be replaced if its old but all the other stuff is rubbish. Just be nice and tell them no thanks!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
""""What is AC Evap Service?""""....""""I know living in Texas and the high humidity, car AC units fail often, so I'm currious if this would be a valid service of some kind. """"

Here in Texas too, never had it done [2004 Zetec wagon 183,000 miles]

""""valid service of some kind."""" Only if you had to spend money that you didn't know what to do with

·
Registered
228 Posts
I was not planning on getting anything done as it is not in the guide in the book or online.
if you have any mechanical ability I would do the power steering flush.....it takes 15 minutes and cost $10...........if you don't have any mechanic ability buy 2 turkey basters, some brake fluid and some "fluid" for the power steering..........use the turkey baster and suck out the brake fluid with one and the steering fluid with the other..........then pour in the new fluid..........do this a few times with some driving in between.........it will be well worth your time and short money.......and add a bottle of techron to the tank a week or so before your next oil change........

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
X2 on Woody's suggestion - cheap & easy maint. - even for the "fumble fingered" it's easy!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if you have any mechanical ability I would do the power steering flush.....it takes 15 minutes and cost $10...........if you don't have any mechanic ability buy 2 turkey basters, some brake fluid and some "fluid" for the power steering..........use the turkey baster and suck out the brake fluid with one and the steering fluid with the other..........then pour in the new fluid..........do this a few times with some driving in between.........it will be well worth your time and short money.......and add a bottle of techron to the tank a week or so before your next oil change........
How much driving in between each would be good? Also if there an article on these on how to do a flush for both of these the right way instead of with the turkey basters? When you say turkey basters, you mean like a big think you woule inject the turkey with? Usually plastic with a rubber squeeze thing on the other end?

Thanks.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How much driving in between each would be good? Also if there an article on these on how to do a flush for both of these the right way instead of with the turkey basters? When you say turkey basters, you mean like a big think you woule inject the turkey with? Usually plastic with a rubber squeeze thing on the other end?

Thanks.
Just wanting to find out as this seems easy enough.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts