Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
aside from oil changes, and transmission fluid when i got my clutch done, (well and brakes cause i just did it!)ive been thinking that my car has never had anything else changed...fluids, belts, etc...

its just above 75k now, and i was wondering if you guys think my car would feal better, and drive better, if i just did a total fluid flush and got new belts...

i suppose the fluids i would want to do are...

power steering
oil
brake
transmission
>>(are my missing fluids)

accessory belt
timing belt

also when doing the belts is it a wise idea to replace the belt tensioner pulley...on both?

i kinda just feal like my car has been acting up and im not sure what the source would be?

sound like a good idea, or a waste of time and money?

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
yup my car's, well, at 107K now, but I had the system flushed about a month ago, and I have noticed increased response, better mileage, and well yeah, better acceleration [:)] definitely do it

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yup my car's, well, at 107K now, but I had the system flushed about a month ago, and I have noticed increased response, better mileage, and well yeah, better acceleration [:)] definitely do it
what all did you do?

and did you do it yourself? if not how much did it run you?

thanks man!

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
what all did you do?

and did you do it yourself? if not how much did it run you?

thanks man!
ah sorry, I should have added that lol
no, I had a tune up shop do it as part of a complete maintenance and tune up to restore to almost factory specs [thumb]

anyway, here's (I think) everything I had done, now I know it's not the same engine, but it's what I had done on the car after I got it:

-computer systems checked, codes cleared
-spark plugs/wires checked
-air filter changed
-cabin air filter changed
-fuel filter changed
-oil filter changed
-radiator cap replaced
-transmission serviced
-brake pads replaced
-brake drums and shoes replaced
-radiator flushed
-fuel system flushed
-transmission flushed
-timing belt replaced
-water pump replaced
-battery checked
-wheels balanced
-tires aligned
-oil changed (synthetic)

well, that's all I can think of off the top of my head, and yeah, most of that wasn't really relevant, but it shows what I had done since I wanted it in the best condition possible. Cost me $1,203 for labor and parts, and took about from Saturday morning (closed Sunday) to Monday evening. They called every time they found something, but the price kept going up, all at my consent though, which I thought was nice [:)] I also found out the old timing belt in my Focus was good for about 90K, so I was about 17K over the mandatory point to replace it, so I can tell the previous owner really didn't take that great care of it besides maybe car wash and oil change [:p] Another thing, and I know you just had em done, but my brakes had about 6k left on them too, so I really felt the difference in stopping power.....applied normal pressure and stopped probably 10 feet short of what I would have before brake change. OH and of course, one final thing, 2-3 recovered gas mileage

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good to know...dang i wanna get my car running fresh again soo bad...i just want to get everything replaced at one time so i can start the clock cycle over at one time!

·
Registered
14 Posts
the big maintenance you could do at your mileage would be to change out all the fluids... P/S, transmission, brake, and radiator. You can easily check your spark plugs and wires to see if there is excessive ware. As far as belts go, the timing belt is rated to last up to 120k (according to gates) and the accessory belt if it too has excessive ware (up to 7-8 "cracks" in a 1inch area). When I purchased my SVT about 3 months ago I looked into all of this. I work for an auto parts store and I do get REALLY bored :).

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool thanks ill have to do a fluid flush!

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
svt performance...as i have an svt, so i figured more people could chime in about svt specific questions!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts