Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently purchased a 03 Lx sedan from the original owner its got 192,967 miles the only thing he did to it was replace the alternator and thats it EVERYTHING else is stock off the lot where should i start ? and what should i be expecting? any advice at all whould be appreciated

·
Registered
291 Posts
Find out when the last service was done to it, even get any service records he may have on it. I know more experienced members will have good suggestions. Is it manual or automatic? If an automatic you are going to want to check the fluid in the transmission, I know that allot of people don't realise that the fluid needs to be checked and periodically changed. Look at the hoses and plugs and plug wires, anything that may be ready to go bad on it. I would look the body over really well too, catch any rust before it eats into the car and becomes a problem.

·
Registered
228 Posts
i recently purchased a 03 Lx sedan from the original owner its got 192,967 miles the only thing he did to it was replace the alternator and thats it EVERYTHING else is stock off the lot where should i start ? and what should i be expecting? any advice at all whould be appreciated
-what engine does it have?
-He never even chnaged front brake pads
-he never changed sparkplugs? air filter? fuel filter?

·
Registered
228 Posts
is it a automatic or manual transmission?.......You have a totally inadequate signature/profile for someone asking for help.......

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
If he changed oil every 3,000 miles the engine should go for another 100,000
If at 5,000 miles then...?

Check the ignition key hole, if it is off center, change the lock cylinder now , if the key way is centered then it did get changed

·
Registered
228 Posts
I am new here and learning, but he might have the split port motor right? Is that going another 100k without issues even with 3k oil swaps

·
Registered
291 Posts
Guys, give him a break, he just got here. I would write down your VIN, search this site for how to decode it, unless you already have a manual. Add everything in your signature of your profile, that way anyone wanting to help can know what you have and what you need to know. The biggest thing to determine how long the car should last is knowing how it's been taken care of until you got it. Once you post all of that you will get a wealth of knowledge about what to do next.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its a manual and it runs fine starts fine the only issue ive noticed is the radiator is not bolted down its just kinda sitting there i think its a zetec engine but im not all that sure if i knew where to look i could tell you more

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
You can identify your engine type by looking at the VIN number. However, if you use the following link, you can generally figure it out by just doing a visual comparison:
http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=77&ht=Identifying%20your%20engine

The rad in the focus is not "bolted down". It is held in place by four plastic tabs that engage in receiving clips. A tiny bit of movement is normal.

Since the last thing anyone does with a car before selling it is routine maintenance, the first thing I'd do as a new owner is all routine maintenance (scheduled or not) so that you can establish a new mileage "baseline" from which to work from in the future. Routine maintenance would include new plugs, air filter, fuel filter, oil and oil filter.

btw, welcome to FF.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
""""but he might have the split port motor right?""""

If it is a split port motor... then it is 'dead man walking' for the engine. I understand that if one had the head rebuilt then valve seat #4 will not drop into the combustion chamber

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can identify your engine type by looking at the VIN number. However, if you use the following link, you can generally figure it out by just doing a visual comparison:
http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=77&ht=Identifying%20your%20engine

The rad in the focus is not "bolted down". It is held in place by four plastic tabs that engage in receiving clips. A tiny bit of movement is normal.

Since the last thing anyone does with a car before selling it is routine maintenance, the first thing I'd do as a new owner is all routine maintenance (scheduled or not) so that you can establish a new mileage "baseline" from which to work from in the future. Routine maintenance would include new plugs, air filter, fuel filter, oil and oil filter.

btw, welcome to FF.
the top 2 rubber things for the radiator were completely out of there sockets it was just kinda flopping around i was able to get it back into place and its definitely an SPI

·
Registered
228 Posts
My suggestions. Oil chande, power steering flush, turkey baster the brake fluid, tranny drain and refill. And a general tuneup as discussed ie plugs filters, .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts