Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening All

I'm rebuilding my 1.0l Ford Focus Ecoboost engine (engine code M2DA) focus ecoboost engine due to a broken piston skirt.

I've rebored the bottom block, have new pistons rings, crank polished etc, just about put it all back together and realise I cannot access the crankshaft main bearing torque settings or the big end bearing torques settings as Ford do not release these as they want you to buy and entire cylinder block.

I've checked Autodata in hope but they are not available.

Would anyone know what they are please?

Thank you.

·
Registered
15,729 Posts
You may need to contact engine rebuilder groups to come up with that. I suspect they use TTY one time use bolts there too. Hope you are changing the oil pump drive belt while you are in there, they can fail with long mileage.

·
Registered
586 Posts
If i can make time for my computer this weekend ill see if i can find those specs for you in the service manual. I cant promise because the manual is so sparse with crucial info.
Itll be for 2015 model year but i doubt that will make a difference in your case.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Rear main crankshaft seal torque specs are 89 lb in(10nm).

There is a sequence they need to be torqued in, hopefully this will help you since taking a pic right now is not possible for me.

Sequence:

3. 4
1. 2
5. 6

They are TTY so you need to throw out the old ones and replace them with new.

·
Registered
586 Posts
There is a process to installing the main crankshaft seal with tools required and such and im going to assume here that you know that but just need the actual torque specs for it.

Install timing peg tool into engine plug bolt hole.
Insert 3/16 punch into hole in crankshafy pulley(you will know what one it doesnt specify in the manual)
Position the crankshaft pulley onto the crankshaft and instalk the bolt.(use new bolt)
Torque in stages
Stage 1: 177 lb in(20nm)
Stage 2: 52 lb ft(70nm)
Remove punch.
Install torque multiplier(tool).
Tighten crankshaft pulley bolt in stages.
Torque 44 lb ft.
Stage 1: 90°
Stage 2: 90°
Stage 3: 90°
Stage 4: 90°
Stage 5: 90°

Sorry for taking so long to get you these specs but its busy for me this time of the year.
I hope this helps you. If you need any other numbers ill see if i can find them.

·
Registered
15,729 Posts
Hey, you gave him numbers for front crank pulley and rear main seal holder, he needed the torques for the main caps and bottom end of rods. ??????

Not nearly the same thing at all. You also have something wrong in your steps there, you cannot go from 52 lbs. backward to 44 lbs., it being impossible. And FIVE steps at 90 degrees each???????? That's the whackiest thing I've ever heard, that bolt would be about 250 psi at that many steps.

I think you got something seriously messed up there. The post #5 bolts are not TTY either, they end up in a torque which makes them non-TTY. TTY bolts end up in an angle as the final tighten spec.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Hey, you gave him numbers for front crank pulley and rear main seal holder, he needed the torques for the main caps and bottom end of rods. ??????

Not nearly the same thing at all. You also have something wrong in your steps there, you cannot go from 52 lbs. backward to 44 lbs., it being impossible. And FIVE steps at 90 degrees each???????? That's the whackiest thing I've ever heard, that bolt would be about 250 psi at that many steps.

I think you got something seriously messed up there. The post #5 bolts are not TTY either, they end up in a torque which makes them non-TTY. TTY bolts end up in an angle as the final tighten spec.
I probably should have rechecked what he was asking for, thats what i get for not rechecking the very first post in the thread i was in total fail on my part.
ill pull my manual back out and fix that.
Also, its listed in the manual that way, which i also thought was extremely odd(it also said to install the 3/16 punch after the pulley was torqued down, which would defeat the purpose of using it to keep it aligned during tightening).
The service manual cd is a huge waste of money, i wish i could upload it for everyone so no one else gets suckered out of their money.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Main bearing cap bolts:
Using the original bolts install bolts finger tight.
Tighten bolts in sequence as shown:

8 4 1 5
7 3 2 6

Torque in stages:
Stage 1: 89 lb in
Stage 2: 18 lb in
Stage 3: 22 lb in
Stage 4: 15°

Measure bearing bore to select proper bearing sizes.
(There is a chart for selection)
Remove and discard bolts and using new bolts install in same procedure with same torque specs.

Connecting Rod cap bolts:

Install and using original bolts tighten in sequence:

4 1 5
3 2 6

Torque in stages:

Stage 1: 71 lb in
Stage 2: 106 lb in
Stage 3: 159 lb in
Stage 4: 35°

Measure inner bearing cap area and crank rod journal area to select bearing size
(There is a chart)
Discard the original bolts and using new bolts install in same procedure using same torque specs.

Torque pan baffle bolts 17 lb ft.

I tried to post this last night but i guess i caught the site being upgraded, looks all different now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you - you are a life saver. Its been so hard to find these settings. Nothing available in any of the usual places.

Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts