Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 focus se and I want to get a better sound out if it. I'm not looking for performance so that's why I'm only replacing the muffler. Which brand of these two is best. And which model of that brand? I want to get the best sound without an entire exhaust system.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I prefer magnaflow to flowmaster. I've only had one magnaflow setup but I loved it. I had a ranger with a 4.0, and I went with a universal oval magnaflow on that. To me it's deeper and not as loud as a flowmaster like a super 44 or a 40. It had a very good deep rumble and sounded good even at high rpms. Not raspy and not overly loud. I even had headers, 2.25 inch pipe, and no cat on that truck and it wasn't too loud for me. My focus has a flowmaster. I assume its a 40 series delta flow. It is extremely loud, and I do not like it. The exhaust before the muffler is all stock, then the muffler, then out to a slightly larger diameter tip. It is pretty raspy at high rpms, and even at idle it's obnoxious unless you really want loud sound. But it's all opinion. To me, magnaflow is a more quality sound, flowmaster might give you more direct flow, but it's a lot louder and not as smooth of a sound.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I prefer magnaflow to flowmaster. I've only had one magnaflow setup but I loved it. I had a ranger with a 4.0, and I went with a universal oval magnaflow on that. To me it's deeper and not as loud as a flowmaster like a super 44 or a 40. It had a very good deep rumble and sounded good even at high rpms. Not raspy and not overly loud. I even had headers, 2.25 inch pipe, and no cat on that truck and it wasn't too loud for me. My focus has a flowmaster. I assume its a 40 series delta flow. It is extremely loud, and I do not like it. The exhaust before the muffler is all stock, then the muffler, then out to a slightly larger diameter tip. It is pretty raspy at high rpms, and even at idle it's obnoxious unless you really want loud sound. But it's all opinion. To me, magnaflow is a more quality sound, flowmaster might give you more direct flow, but it's a lot louder and not as smooth of a sound.
Thank you for this info. I think I'm going to go with a magnaflow!

·
Registered
128 Posts
You're welcome, I'm glad it was helpful. Good luck with your setup. And some shops, albeit illegal, will offer to cut your cat out when you install the muffler if your city doesn't have emissions. I would recommend keeping it. The performance gain is negligible and it will make it extremely loud. If you really want more sound, you can always go back and put a high flow cat or remove it at a later date. I like to change one thing at a time so I can get exactly what I want.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Magnaflow and Vibrant are the ways to go
Did you really mean "and"? If so, what combination of their products do you think is best? Or did you mean "or"? [cool]

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00
13,505 Posts
Magnaflow for mufflers, Vibrant for resonators. The combination of both is pure aural pleasure.

I've got an 18" Magnaflow and a 12" Vibrant. Sounds great, as quiet as stock cruising

·
Registered
727 Posts
I'm wondering: If you really want to improve performance and (hopefully) MPG, wouldn't you have to go at a minimum to Manifold back (and possibly even headers) to do so? Cat back seems like it wouldn't help all that much to me. On my F350 SuperDuty, I went Turbo back. I know it would be more money, but wouldn't it be worth it?

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,842 Posts
I'd vote for 2.25" upgrade personally
Come on sonic join the 2.5"+ crew much better difference over factory 1.75"-2" also remember the wider the pipe the deeper the exhaust note.

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00
13,505 Posts
Gabe... I'm running 2.5, for the OP I'm saying he should go with 2.25 for his not just replace parts with stock size stuff

·
Registered
727 Posts
Why spend money on 1/4"?

I'm investigating exhaust. Seems like a lot of money to spend for 1/4 inch, so I'm going 2.5 or stay at home. Also, I'm thinking Manifold back with a high-flow cat. [wrenchin]

·
Registered
463 Posts
Why 1/4", because if you do the math going from 2.25 to 2.5 inch pipe you gain 1 square inch of surface area.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Flowmaster for my 2012 hatchback

I opted for the Flowmaster Force II Cat Back system for my 2012 SEL hatchback. (about $550.00). Put it on myself with the help of a friedn in about 2 hours. Nice low rumble at highway speeds, only loud when you stomp on it.

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,842 Posts
Gabe... I'm running 2.5, for the OP I'm saying he should go with 2.25 for his not just replace parts with stock size stuff
[drinking] I know haha Just bustin your chops!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been running a Flowmaster Force II cat-back for several months now. Very little drone @ cruising speed - nice throatish rumble when accelerating, not obnoxious or overly loud and certainly does not sound like a rice rocket. little to no improvement mpg wise, but "feels" peppier/livelier on take off - doubt I would win many races, but then again that's not why I chose the car/exhaust system.

2012 Focus Titanium hatch, Green drop-in air filter w/ open end cone, Flowmaster Force II cat-back 2.25" exhaust.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
You guys with the Flowmasters should dyno your cars and send the results to Sonic with a mod list. The dyno thread in the sticky section has been rather quiet for the last 4 or 5 months.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Magnaflow for mufflers, Vibrant for resonators. The combination of both is pure aural pleasure.

I've got an 18" Magnaflow and a 12" Vibrant. Sounds great, as quiet as stock cruising
I'd love to hear how your exhaust sounds, bro. I'm looking for some low cost ideas to increase my exhaust tone a little, and this sounds like a great setup. :) Do you happen to have a video you could post up? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts