Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where dou guys put ur MAF? every time i see an inder hood pic of a turbo'd focus there is a bov where the maf usualy is?
also i have been debating wether or not to use a bov. a friend of mine has an s2000 and has been driving/racing for over a year with no BOV, so how bad is it really on the turbo with a little compressor surge. ill only be running 8-9psi max or a t25

·
Registered
798 Posts
From what I know, a small amount of boost, usually 5psi and under, you can get away with out a BOV or Diverter Valve. I would recommend to always have some sort of relief. If you like the sound of the BOV thenuse one. Otherwise if you don't want the sound then go with a By-pass/Diverter Valve to Recirc the metered air.

It would be best to use some sort of valve rather than none at all... IMO

·
Banned
263 Posts
Use A Bov/divertor Valve!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i like the sound of my blitz. but i like the sound of the compressor fluter alot better lol.
what about where the MAF goes. im not recirc. and i dont want suck thru.
cant i just use my CAI pipe for the cold side and add the BOV in?

·
Registered
798 Posts
i like the sound of my blitz. but i like the sound of the compressor fluter alot better lol.
what about where the MAF goes. im not recirc. and i dont want suck thru.
a sturdy blow-thru MAF will help... if you want to add a BOV instead of recircing the you need to put the BOV before the MAF to make it work correctly

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i knew all that. but every time i see a pic of a turbo focus i see the BOV right next the TB.
also will i need a 3in. maf tube if i have a MAFia?

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
but i like the sound of the compressor fluter alot better lol.
This is BAD you are destroying your compressor wheel whenever you get compressor surge (that flutter sound) very very bad sound

im not recirc. and i dont want suck thru.
you dont want suck through but yet you want your maf on the cold side???? those are conflicting statements

this is what you need:

http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1912

put that between the BOV and TB as far away from any bends as you can.

and you may or may not need the Diablo MAFia depending on your power level.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
yeah i knew all that. but every time i see a pic of a turbo focus i see the BOV right next the TB.
also will i need a 3in. maf tube if i have a MAFia?
that depends on your power level but usually 2.5" tube and MAFia does fine on low boost.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have a mafia. and i also have a 3in. tube. but i cant see why i cant just use my cai pipe for the cold side i already mocked everything up and the cai in 98% of the cold side so why cant i just leave it at that. then just put the bov before the maf and run my MAFia

·
Registered
333 Posts
i have a mafia. and i also have a 3in. tube. but i cant see why i cant just use my cai pipe for the cold side i already mocked everything up and the cai in 98% of the cold side so why cant i just leave it at that. then just put the bov before the maf and run my MAFia
So you want to put your MAF before the turbo, and the BOV before the MAF? Think about that for a minute..

·
Banned
263 Posts
haha i hope thats not what he is thinking. if it is you need to listen more and speak less

·
Registered
798 Posts
haha i hope thats not what he is thinking. if it is you need to listen more and speak less
ROFL!!!! [rofl] You cant use a BOV on not pressurized piping! That is the point of a BOV/By-Pass

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So you want to put your MAF before the turbo, and the BOV before the MAF? Think about that for a minute..
When did i EVER say that?
if u read it i said that my cai is my COLD SIDE and the maf is on the cai.
so any way

will i need a 3in maf tube if i have a mafia? im only runing 9psi max.

·
FF Affiliate
30,935 Posts
Yes you can do this and it will work fine , and use the MAFia

For all you non turbo guys out there the HOT side is before the intercooler and the COLD side is after the intercooler

Tom

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thank you tom!

·
Registered
333 Posts
For all you non turbo guys out there the HOT side is before the intercooler and the COLD side is after the intercooler

Tom
Never quite heard it explained like that (all the turbo people/companies I've dealt with over the years call the exhaust side the HOT side and the intake side the COLD side) but I suppose there can be different ways of looking at it.

fifoci said:
When did i EVER say that?
if u read it i said that my cai is my COLD SIDE and the maf is on the cai.
Sorry, you made it sound like you wanted to put the MAF on the inlet side of the turbo, and then the BOV before that.

You can put the MAF on either side of the I/C if you're going blow through. I prefer to put it between the I/C and TB when I build them though. The BOV can also go on either side. One thing to consider.... the point of the BOV is to vent off excessive pressure. When you are doing 7k and let off the throttle, the turbo is still doing 100k+ rpms and wanting to stuff tons of air into the motor. When you slam the throttle shut, that air needs to go somewhere. If you don't have a BOV, what happens is air pressure builds up has nowhere to go. So it backs up to the turbo, and the fluttering sound you are hearing is the turbo wheel getting stopped and locked up. You can bend the shaft, spin the compessor wheel on the shaft, and even rip the blades off. But what else can happen, is you can blow out the I/C core at the seams from the excessive pressure. So, if you put your BOV BEFORE the I/C, you'll at least be venting that pressure off before it builds up in the I/C.

Also, if you put your MAF on the outlet side of the I/C and the BOV on the inlet side, you can vent the BOV to atmosphere.

As for using your CAI for the piping from the I/C to the TB, it really depends on what you have. Most CAI piping is very cheap, thin aluminum, and not really meant to see pressure. Plus, it'll be nearly impossible to weld anything to it, like a MAF sensor boss (although you could use one of the rivet on ones that VMP sells).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well the cai already has the maf on it thats where i was originaly trying to get at. then i was just gonna put the bov after the IC but obviously before the maf. and like i said i mocked it all up and pressure tested the whole system and nothing leaks. ill only be at 9psi max i filled my system with 15 to insure there where no leaks or piping blowing off.

·
Registered
333 Posts
well the cai already has the maf on it thats where i was originaly trying to get at. then i was just gonna put the bov after the IC but obviously before the maf. and like i said i mocked it all up and pressure tested the whole system and nothing leaks. ill only be at 9psi max i filled my system with 15 to insure there where no leaks or piping blowing off.
Sounds like you'll be okay then. I just wasn't understanding your original post.

I am assuming you are using some kind of CAI that goes into the fender? Can't really see any other type being useful with an I/C.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yup. all i needed was a "U" bent pipe and it fits perfectly

1 - 19 of 19 Posts