Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a new antenna at work today. I make so many parts for other people, sometimes I need to "test" my skills on "sample" parts. I decided to keep it simple. .54 at the base, 1 inch of straight shaft, then it tapers down to .4 at the end, it is 5 inches long. Made it out of aluminum and it took me about an hour. I used a cnc lathe to turn it down and cut it off, then I used a coax center finder to find the center with a bridgeport manual mill. Then I drilled with 5mm and tapped 6mmx1 using the bridgeport. I'll probably make a few extras in case someone tries to steal it since its already programmed on the lathe. How long do you think before it breaks off my whole antenna mount in a car wash? There's not that much give to it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Pretty - yes

Antenna - not so much

The real stubby ones have wire coiled inside to equal the length of a normal one, that's what makes them work.

Not dissin' the cool machining, it's just not too functional as an antenna.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that radio waves do not work with non-ferrous metals. But my radio still works fine, I tried it today on my way home. I actually never use my radio though, just my phone. My old focus had the threads on the antenna base broken off when I got it and I never got a new base and it worked fine also. I thought that most of the stubby antennas were just for looks anyways.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Aluminum will work, anything that conducts electricity is OK for an antenna.

TV antennas were mostly aluminum for light weight, just not too common any more.

Hit a fraction of the original's length (like 1/4 for this one) and it'll work in a similar manner, not quite as well but still functional. The original is a compromise anyways, having to work for AM & FM ranges.

The cool fact for antennas is that the optimum is the same or a fraction of the actual wavelength you want to receive, so for car antennas you're starting at a fraction already.

In any case, nice job of machining & I like the look.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts