Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using a Yakima Blockhead as a basis, I designed and built a rig for the Blockhead to attach to, allowing me to put my bike in my car with just taking the front wheel and seat off. This saves the hassle of removing the back tire and the bike taking up ALL of the space in my trunk. And I don't have to mess with my Saris rack. I plan to leave it on all the time. Still need to make a spacer so the skewer doesn't rattle though. 3dr SVTF btw.

I also still have another main plate body powdercoated red. If you would like it let me know and I could make a deal. I could get the rods that insert into the headrest with it as well. This was designed and fabricated entirely by myself. except for the laser cutting of the metal. Still not trusted with powerful laser systems :(

If you would like, I could post the Solidworks file as well.

http://imgur.com/a/qouXc

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Very nice! I've often wondered if my bike would fit in my sedan with the front tire off.

·
I Like Red
3,245 Posts
Nice job, if your like me and ride in the rainy season too u better put down some sheets or something to keep mud off your interior. This is great if you dont want to spend $ on a roof rack.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice job, if your like me and ride in the rainy season too u better put down some sheets or something to keep mud off your interior. This is great if you dont want to spend $ on a roof rack.
All precautions will be taken. That's part of the reason I dont have the bike facing the other direction. I don't usually ride in the rainy season though.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Pretty ingenious. Enough so that if I were you I'd submit it to Yakima.
Most every headrest has near the same pole spacing and most are removable. So this would be a basically universal product; just depends on if the bike fits in the car.
I could easily see them selling for $50-$75, maybe more if marketed correctly.

Kinda surprised a company hasn't made them already.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Impressive!

Makes me want to build the same thing. That would make securing my polo bike easier when I am running around before or after playing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bike mount

What size frame? I ride large 26'er and can barely wedge it in diagonally. Great looking design, glad it works for you.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would you be interested in making me one? Name your price... I'll send you a PM.
Check your PMs. I think the message went through but it isn't showing up in my sent messages :/

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
Very cool

Ray

·
Registered
71 Posts
Beautiful work.

I had hoped to do something similar, but, ain't happening with my medium frame 29er.

So, I just yanked the rear seats completely. Fits nice facing rearwards with front wheel and seat pulled. Didn't even need a bracket. I back the rear wheel up to the arm rest, stand it up and run a bungie from the seatbelt loop braket on each side to the handle bar. Doesn't budge a bit. I am thinking of macguyvering a front fork skewer mount however when I have the time.

I realize this is not an option for those out there with a single vehicle. Fortunately, I have an Odyssey, Sonata and Saturn wagon in the fleet, so the ZX3 is my little 2 seater work/bike pickup truck!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Probably. The zx3 is just a tad too short for a 29er without pulling the rear seats. guess i'm stuck with 26ers for a while.

·
Drunkinmonkey
2,678 Posts
that's actually pretty awesome.. wicked idea man

1 - 17 of 17 Posts