Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, just thought i'd ask about this......what can help my nasty torque steer when i take off? it only happens when i get on it, but when it happens, it HAPPENS. maybe its the way im driving i dont know.

any tips? im thinking its because of the small wheels and tires with the decent amount of torque the 2.3 makes, could that be it?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Hold on to the wheels.

It's caused by unequal length drive shafts. If you think it bad, drive and older Saab.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I don't understand all this torque steer business, it's never been a problem for me.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
like, i just raced this chick in a 2.5 maxima after school (she was hott) and i beat her, but when i took off my car jumped to the right. with me hold the wheel straight.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
it only happens to me sometimes if i take off half-throttle

·
Registered
18 Posts
Like pspringe stated, it due to the unequal shaft lengths and also the rotation of the tires as you are really getting on it. My tract control usually takes care of this.

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,803 Posts
a little bit of torque steer is normal in a front wheel drive car but excessive amounts mean either your allignment is off, or a wheel is off balance. If you had the tires rotated and balanced it might take care of the problem a bit.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I just think it's interesting that it's something so many people complain about but it's never once been a problem for me and it's not like my car is exactly stock...

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I've never has a problem in mine either.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
maybe it is the balance then, cause i had a tire with a rip in the side wall, and they put a new one on the wheel, and i put the wheel back on the car. so maybe i need a balance and alignment?

today was the worst ever, but its usually not to bad i guess.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I notice this on mine but I know I am going to feel it before I press the pedal down and hold on not a problem though

·
Registered
191 Posts
Wheel balance has absolutely NOTHING to do with torque steer. Zip. Zero. As noted by others, torque steer could be caused by uneven distribution of torque, e.g., unequal length drive shafts, putting lots of power down peg-leg, initial effect by an ATB differential kicking in, etc.

Possible tire issues causing a pull would be a bad tire, badly unevenly worn/mismatched tires, alignment (although alignment is really a suspension issues, not a tire issue), different tire sizes on the front wheels, etc. Bad suspension bits can cause this too, and Focus strut bearing plates and sway bar end links are notorious for going bad.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Replace tires on same axle

and they put a new one on the wheel
I am so pleased you backed up and described the problem you are having and those changes (new tire on one side) which you feel might be associated.

If there is significant wear then you should have replaced both tires on the same axle. What you may wish to do now (as a cheaper alternative) is swap your front and rear tires and see if this changes the sideways "pull" you're experiencing on launch. Be sure to mount your wheels so the tires are rotating in the correct direction (some tires are designed to roll one way).

There are many reasons for a car (especially front wheel drive) to want to turn when power is applied and each has their own cure. There are also many who are more qualified than I to discuss these problems in more technical detail. What I would like to do is spend a few minutes trying to convince everyone to remove the jargon and just describe the problem.

Torque Steer is definded as
A tendency for a car to turn in a particular direction when power is applied. Torque steer is common in front-drive cars because reaction forces created in the half-shafts can generate uneven steering forces in the front tires. See Also Wiki Definition
So all other things being equal (perfect surface, perfectly straight, perfectly level, you know, perfect) then a car might have a tendancy to pull to one side a little bit. In the case of a 1969 Mini Cooper "S" perhaps more than a little bit.

but Torque Steer is gets the blame
The natural inclination of a vehicle to follow the path of least resistance is not Torgue Steer. By this I mean to follow a rut in the road or the road camber or to turn one way or another because one of the driven wheels has traction when the other doesn't.

The requirement to forcibly turn the wheel straight when exiting a corner (lest the vehicle continue the turn into the nearby wall). This also is not Torque Steer.

Conclusion
Several of the tracking and traction problems which occur most prominently in high performance front wheel vehicles are often misrepresented as Torque Steer. This is unfortunate because often those in the best position to provide advice are mislead.

As a competitive motorsports driver I have learnt always to simply describe the problem rather than attempt to use mechanical terminology. I once attempted to describe a problem I was having by stating "it's overly damped". I was so pleased with myself for having finally learned to speak the language but when I went back out on track I quickly found myself in the scenery!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it pulls to the right, and the new tire was put on the front left. it was put on when the car had about 12k miles on it. it has 15k on it now. the tires are all the same brand and type and everything, identicle.

i think the rotation is a good idea, tomorow right after school i think im going to do that. cant hurt anything right?

thanks for all the input here guys. i know FWD cars do have a higher tendincy(sp?) to do this, but it just seemed that when i tried to take off hard in the focus it did it a little to much.

·
Registered
672 Posts
The uneven length half shafts will "wind up" under extreme load, and the longer side will wind up more than the shorter. Naturally, it will unwind more than the shorter. As it is winding up, it is causing that wheel to turn less than the wheel on the shorter side, ie, causing the shorter side to pull more. When one pulls less than the other, it causes the car to turn a little. Ever try a Dodge Colt turbo. You haven't experienced "torque steer" until you drive one of these. Two tires with different traction capabilities (unevenly worn, or different brand/size tires) will compound the problem.

·
Registered
314 Posts
jr_psychologist said:
Bad suspension bits can cause this too, and Focus strut bearing plates and sway bar end links are notorious for going bad.
[duh]

·
Registered
170 Posts
five-speed2.3, have you ever considered the possibility that roads are uneven that's why racing on them is dangerous?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i mean, i dont go around like racing every car i see, but this was just a funny little thing. i try to be as responsable as possible, but i just felt the need to open it up a bit.

i did think about the uneven road thing, but even on nice new paved ones, she pulls a little to the right.

thanks for all the input here guys!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts