Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought that I would let you guys know that I'm currently working with a local company that specializes in UV coating. I'm trying to get them interested and supplying cost figures to redo the outer UV coating on my Machs and get them back to a like-new condition that will last 5-6 more years.

If I get anything good out of them, I will definitely let everyone else know, regarding price and what I can do for everyone else to have this done as well.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
so they dont oxidize? is that what your talking about?

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, to clear them back up and remove the tiny spiderweb cracks, pitting, and discoloration. Hopefully, I'll hear back from them next week after the holiday.

·
Registered
784 Posts
holy hell, that would be awesome. please keep us updated.

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will do. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a price will be reasonable if we can get enough interest going here.

I'll probably post a "interested" list once I can get an agreement and bring that to the table.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Why not just buy some Lamin-X? I restored mine more than 2 1/2 years ago and put a layer of Lamin-X on top and they still look very good.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
This sounds pretty interesting. Keep us posted with the results.

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why not just buy some Lamin-X? I restored mine more than 2 1/2 years ago and put a layer of Lamin-X on top and they still look very good.
This crossed my mind also, but I've been wanting a professional restoration to preserve the Machs. With them being harder to find nowadays, I want these around for a long time.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
the LaminX doesnt fill the tiny spiderwebs on the plastic. This is where a new UV coating is superior. i have LaminX on mine though, this is after i worked 4+hrs on each lens from 600grit to wet2000 grit followed by polishing and buffing.

i too will be interested in a new UV coat. as i will be removing my LaminX. it doesnt mix will when you put it on top of vinyl eyebrows.

again, keep us updated.

thanks!

also, too bad the Machs arent SVT specific.

Moved to: "Exterior Body & Lighting Chat"

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My spider webbing started from doing a little eyebrow fittment testing using a simple piece of cut windshield tint strip as a template and a mild mix of water and dishwashing liquid. I forgot that I had the tint strips on the headlights, went out the next morning and was like dammit! So it all started there. The area where vinyl eyebrows would normally reside are now "semi-frosted" which sucks big time.

I will probably throw some Lamin-x on them after the fresh new coat.

BTW, Glad to see that some of you are interested in this!

·
Registered
784 Posts
the LaminX doesnt fill the tiny spiderwebs on the plastic. This is where a new UV coating is superior. i have LaminX on mine though, this is after i worked 4+hrs on each lens from 600grit to wet2000 grit followed by polishing and buffing.
Well duh. I was referring to slapping it on after you restore the lights.

·
Registered
784 Posts
so hows this coming along, i really want the mach's to look good again.

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still waiting for a response from them. I thought that the holiday season would've died down for them, but then again I don't want to become pestering to them. I'll give them a call or another email this coming Monday.

·
Registered
784 Posts
any updates?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts