Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I got a pair of used HID Mach's off of eBay and while they looked like they were in good condition in the pictures the guy sent me, I noticed a few things that aren't so good about them.

The driver's side housing has one leg (for the projector's bulb housing) that is broken and the projector is fogged up. I figure a good dose of super glue should hold it in place, provided it wouldn't get too hot.

I removed all of the bolts in order to remove the bulb's housing to get to the projector and clean the projector's lens but couldn't get it out because the headlight's adjuster (at one corner, top right) has it down. Also, the projector's lens is not mounted flush with its housing.

Any suggestions on how to get to the projector's lens and how do I clean the lens?

Also, two of the right side's adjusters aren't connected to the plastic, should I just screw them in all the way and hopefully get them settled in?

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Here's a detailed disassembly guide for the Mach HIDs. LINK I'll look at mine when I get time later and try to answer your other questions.

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
U have pop it off the white ball. When u get the projector out notch the corner so it will slip right in later

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,214 Posts
I took my soldering iron and melted the edge of the plastic that was keeping the projector from coming out. I kept messing with the white ball but I felt like I was gonna break something...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got to the step of getting the housing out but can't get the brown and black wires to come out of the connector...if I'm feeling optimistic, I'll try again later. For now, my plan is to use windex on the lens to get rid of the fogginess and I'm going to super glue one of the broken pillars.

Thanks for all the help folks! By the way, does the high beam's light placement look funky to you?

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
Ok wait. Take ur time it will be worth it. Use a small really small flat head to unclip the brown wires(I didn't unclip mine till I had the projector loose and out. Don't use superglue use a 2part epoxy that is made for plastic(I got mine at autozone by the silicon ).

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
I would suggest getting clear lenses from the retrofitsource.com if ur going that deep into them that way u start off fresh($45 for the pair)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok wait. Take ur time it will be worth it. Use a small really small flat head to unclip the brown wires(I didn't unclip mine till I had the projector loose and out. Don't use superglue use a 2part epoxy that is made for plastic(I got mine at autozone by the silicon ).
After a little more head scratching, I got the brown wires unclipped. And I figured out, the hard way, that superglue doesn't work with this type of plastic. Good tip on getting the 2 part epoxy. I'd rather have the lights in supreme working order before I install them. I'll make a trip to either Autozone or Ace Hardware to get some.

And the lens only required warm soap water and windex to get the fog off.
The almost finished product:

I'm liking what I see.

Thanks for the tips!

The bulbs I have are the GE xensation D2S 53500 variety, presumably the white light. If I'm not mistaken it is a 4300K type. As I understand it, the higher the K value from here on out will increase the blue tint but decrease the visibility. Am I right?

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
Yup I went with 5k so its a pure white no blue

·
Registered
238 Posts
A couple suggestions.

I wouldn't have used windex on the projectors as windex leaves a film. You need to get a cleaner for car windows like invisible glass or mix your own up with some vinegar, alcohol, and water.

When you go to purchase the plastic epoxy, you need to find a type that will hold Polypropylene together. It's a very hard plastic to get to stay together. I'm having to use a soldering iron and melt it together right now.

Also, for the high beam placement, I think it's probably just from moving the adjusters so much trying to get the projector out as when I dissembled mine it looked similar.

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
Use IPA(alcohol) to clean the lenses

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,214 Posts
Ah-Ha.

I noticed the tabs and I assumed that would loosen it, but I wondered if the glass would fall out of the assembly. Looks like a worthwhile mod, especially since my projectors can come out easily now. [:p]

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've had the lights in the car for a while now. Noticed a couple of things...I may not have aimed the lights all that well - did my best, I promise - the left side is aimed conservatively and the right side does it's best impression of a cock eyed individual with the light spraying far more to the right.

I think it is definitely time to get this light issue situated.

I recently installed the FRPP kit so, the issue of the beam of light being thrown may have become more of an issue.

Secondly, my right side bulb definitely has a yellowish hue compared to that of the left side - which is closer to blue/white. Both are 4300k bulbs...Any suggestions on increasing the visibility - upgrade to higher k and how to aim the bulbs with all of the knobs at the back of the SVT HID kit..Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts