Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a MAC engine snubber off of EBAY that was unused and brand new. I just received it, but I'm scared because the bushings look a little iffy, and I don't know if it's normal. - No returns.

I can push out the center of the bushing (steel rod where bolt lies) and the two halves of the bushing fall out. When it's compressed in the dog-bone mount holder, it will probably be more solid, but it feels kinda wobbly. I don't know? Is this anything to worry about?

Anyone know what kinda grease to use for the fittings too? thanks!

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Far as grease goes, I'd guess a standard Lithium grease should be just fine.

·
Registered
909 Posts
yes make sure you grease it. I installed mine ungreased, and one of the halves cracked into tiny rubbery pieces

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
YZ04 How long have you had it? been a solid reliable piece? What do you think of it?

And when you replaced your cracked bushing, did the center piece just slide right out?

·
Registered
909 Posts
I had mine on for 6 months. After I found out the rubber cracked, replaced it with the stock mount. Never bothered replacing the cracked bushing nor putting the MAC mount back. And yes, the center piece does slide out easily.

IMO not worth it unless you get all three mounts. Seems like the MAC mount weakened the other two stock mounts.

And it was definitely NOT worth it for my automatic lol

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would think that if the MAC weakened your other 2 mounts, that any other torque mount (VF,STEEDA..ETC) would do the same ? I hear a ton of people just running the rear dogbone with after market and leaving the stockers due to vibrations without any problems.

Do you think that if you would have greased it, that the bushings wouldn't have failed?
How were the vibrations?

I got a manual, so i don't know if were comparing oranges to oranges?

·
Registered
909 Posts

Lot's of people (inlc. me) run their stock mounts with the aftermarket dogbone, but my stock mounts were NIB eBay refurbs, which is probably why they failed so soon after installing my MAC.

I do think that grease would have helped. Had I known at the time what those two things sticking out of the mount were for, I would've greased it from the get-go lol

And, the automatics don't have that "connected" feel compared with standard. The torque converter in autos takes more power to get going as opposed to the more "direct" clutch. Therefore, you'd feel more of a difference with a stick w/ dogbone, as opposed to an automatic

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting, thanks for the information. When your MAC failed, did you realize it right away? Or was it something you saw after an inspection, or an oil change? I sometimes find myself a long ways from home with my focus, and the last thing I need is to immobile due to a mount :(

what about the vibrations? Intense?

·
Registered
909 Posts
Yeah, it was during an oil change when I notice the mount was going bad. The vibration was bearable..if only there weren't so many invisible things inside the car that rattled every time the car idled or while accelerating haha.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help! I guess I'll just have to give it a try, if it's not for me, just sell it I guess! Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts