Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Multiple sadness guys. I just bought a beautiful 2014 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback FULLY loaded. The only thing it don't have is the heated steering wheel. But i will ad that later. So it has 32,000 miles on it. One ower car. It was leased by this older woman. I got the car for $11,000 bucko's. So i bought it from a Ford Dealer and it's certified by Ford on top of that.

I had the car 3 weeks and i'm driving along and all of a sudden a message comes up in the little screen with a red i saying transmission overheating..... allow to cool. I said what the?????[???:)] What? does this trans have a radiator with coolant in it like an engine? I've never seen a message like that. So i got to where i was going shortly after that. I parked the car and had lunch. After that i got back in my car and started it up. All was great. No more overheating message, but now my traction control light was on a another message came up now saying hill assist not active. Oh boy what now? So i decided being as i am a mechanic, i'm going to head home and do some research on this before i call the ford stealer. Well now something new was going on. When i started driving home, the car started shifting weird. Like it was going from 1st to 3rd or something like that. Either way, it was not shifting right at all. The lights were flickering in the info window where the gear selections show. So i then decided, i'm taking this car straight to the stealer. So i dropped it off and told them what was going on with it. They said they will diagnose it and get back to me. So in the mean time while my car is in the stealer, i started reading up online about issues causing this overheating thingy. And W O W ! ! ! [ohcrap]I did not like what i found out, These transmissions have a huge tendency to go out 95% of the cars in 2012-2014, fixed in late 2015. Well at this point i still had the Ford power train warranty on it.

So two days later the service writer calls me and tells me what is gong on. He said he wanted to make sure i had the latest update flash for the control module. I did. So that was good. He told me that the clutches in the trans are gone.[bigcry] He said the front seal is leaking which caused the clutches to get oil in them and because of this, the clutches are not grabbing when needed and that's what's making it overheat. The friction between the disks. I asked how we go about this being as the car is under warranty for this. He said, well sorry to tell you this, but the warranty does not cover the clutches. That is a part that wares out over time. Just like brakes on a car. I said your kidding. So how much will this cost to fix. He told me around $1,800.00. That includes the parts, 12 hours of labor and the $150.00 diagnostic fee. After i heard this i was sick to my stomach.[vommit] How could this be??? I just bought this car 3 weeks prior from Ford that was supposed to be Ford Certified. I told the guy this is not ok with me. So i called the stealer i bought the car from and spoke to the head manager of the place and i complained big time. I told him i don't have the money to fix the car right now cause i just put all my money down on the car. So i asked him what can we do about this. I told him if i could i would like to return the car to you. He said i can't do that but what he will do is file a claim with Ford Corporate/RND in Irvine and see if he can't get this covered under warranty due to the circumstances. So now i'm just waiting for the verdict. He said should hear from them Monday.

I am very disappointed about this. I really love the car otherwise. I have always owned the Focus since they came out. I had a 2002 ZTS fully loaded for 5 years and then sold that and got a 2011 SES and had that for 6 years and NEVER had any trouble with either of those cars. NEVER left me stranded. So i didn't think anything about it when i bought this 2014. I should have done my research before i bought it. I would not have bought it knowing this now. I would have gotten an ST3. But the money is way more for them. Anyways sorry to vent with such a long story, but i just had to tell you guys about my issue going on. I will update this post when i hear back from the stealer on Monday. Wish me luck.[cool]

·
FF Affiliate
30,144 Posts
You need to look into this more , Most clutches are covered under the extended warranty Ford added for all the clutch problems and seal leaking

The TSB for this is listed here in the Forum

Tom

·
Registered
79 Posts
You got lied to and there are dozens of threads about this very issue. The failure rate in the TCM's and clutches is high but it isn't near 95 percent. As for your coverage, there is a special extension covering the clutches, seals, TCM (parts and labor) granted by Ford on ALL 2012, 2013, most 2014's originally, and the coverage has been expanded to newer models as well, this extension is until at least 100k miles regardless of age. Your coverage should also pay for all of the diagnostic fees as well (as long as a covered part is found to be faulty). There is no way that the dealer you went to doesn't know about this coverage, a simple OASIS (fords internal vehicle history reporting system) report would show your vehicle as eligible. They are lying to you and trying to defraud you of money for repairs that I'm willing to bet that they will claim to Ford under the TSB and get paid on both ends. If I where you, I would get an attorney involved, report them to your local BBB and to Ford corporate. You probably aren't the first person they have pulled this on and I'm willing to bet you won't be the last unless someone holds them accountable.

PLEASE post the info on this dealer (location, name of dealership, website ect...) so that anyone who reads this thread can be cautious in dealing with them. We don't need any more sh***y dealers in this world.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Super interested in where you went, since I live in your area.
Well It was North County Ford that told me this. It is near Escondido and Vista
Gotcha. That was the only reasonable place that would cut a key for me.

Ken Grody wanted $75, Encinitas wanted $65 and Ford of Escondido didn’t even call me back about the price. North County Ford wanted only $10. But it’s good to know not to go to them for service.

But for warranty work Encinitas Ford has been pretty good to me.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, that would be great if it is covered under the warranty. I don't really have the money right now to spend on it. So does anyone know how i can reach the Ford Corporate that would handle this? I would like to call them today if i can. Right now the stealer is just waiting for my answer as to do the work or not. I'm stalling them some just to figure out how i can come up with the money and also waiting to see if the service manager will get it paid for me.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is the email that the service guy emailed me about the warranty.

Jim,

It looks like you have the extended coverage if it takes a new module but if it needs clutches it won’t be covered. Unfortunately we won’t know until we diagnose the issues. Let me know what you would like to do. I can schedule you in if you’d like.

Sean

·
w/ my magic bag
29,303 Posts
Isn't there a 3-5 day if you don't like it on the certified cars? You really shouldn't have to pay for any of this + your timer dealing with this. You paid more for a certified car vs one that isn't......I wish you luck on dealing w/ this........

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys for the advise and recall number and TSB number. I will ask Sean this tomorrow. He is supposed to call me with a verdict from the warranty board from corporate. If they say no, i will then tell them about these numbers and see what they say then. I will keep this post up to date with this. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
U P D A T E . . . .Well i got my car back today. All fixed. The stealer replaced my front seal and the clutch assembly and re flashed my TCM. Somehow when the trans overheated and was shuttering it burned out my steering angle sensor module. So that had to be replaced. It was replaced under the extended warranty. It was 600.00 to replace that module. I paid 100.00 bucko's for my copay. So i will see how long this will last. Thanks for all your help. I had to mention the 14M01 and TSB-1400CB to Sean before they were going to do this under the warranty. But it worked. Keep these numbers in your wallet so if you ever have to take your car into Ford, you will have these numbers on you to tell the service writer.

·
Registered
79 Posts
U P D A T E . . . .Well i got my car back today. All fixed. The stealer replaced my front seal and the clutch assembly and re flashed my TCM. Somehow when the trans overheated and was shuttering it burned out my steering angle sensor module. So that had to be replaced. It was replaced under the extended warranty. It was 600.00 to replace that module. I paid 100.00 bucko's for my copay. So i will see how long this will last. Thanks for all your help. I had to mention the 14M01 and TSB-1400CB to Sean before they were going to do this under the warranty. But it worked. Keep these numbers in your wallet so if you ever have to take your car into Ford, you will have these numbers on you to tell the service writer.
I'm glad they finally did the right thing. DONT EVER GO BACK TO THAT DEALER!!! They knew good and well that it was covered under the TSB and extended coverage. It showed up in the OASIS (Fords internal vehicle mait/repair history reporting system) report that they are required to run on your car and update every time your car is in for service. My theory is that they where trying to "double dip" by charging you for the repairs then turning around and filing a claim for compensation from Ford for the same repair. It still would be worth informing Ford corporate formally of the situation (I'm sure there is a "dealer relations" department of some sort). There is absolutely NO WAY they didnt know about this TSB or the extended coverage that has been issued. There are regular internal memos and updates about this stuff sent to all dealers, sometimes on a weekly basis. There is a class-action lawsuit about all of this for God's sake! I would even be suspect of the steering module repair they claimed it needed.

If I where you I would copy the owner, general manager, and service manager, in your communications with Ford to put them on notice that this attempt at fraud has not gone unnoticed.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,303 Posts
Great you got it repaired/sorted out. Hope it sticks for awhile.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts