Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It was a lot harder than expected to keep the hanger on the Lunchbox and fortunately a friend with the right saw was able to do it for me.

I love driving with my windows open and without music because the joy of hearing the downshifts and the pops and backfires makes it a joy to rev match.

Would getting a tune make my CAI and Lunchbox delete even more worthwhile, I wonder?

The car feels undoubtedly more punchy without the box and I wonder if there may have been a boost in power...though during engine braking the car doesn't slow down quite as much without the Lunchbox.

Sometimes my revs hang sometimes they don't. The other thing I have noticed is the car lurches on 1-2 shifts under hard acceleration.

If others, who are driving de-PZEV cars with similar mods and have a tune, could chime in - I'd appreciate it very much.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Does a tune necessitate 91 octane?
I would consult Tom (1TurboFocus) about that question; due to the insane amount of bolt-ons I have (including IM and now 3" MAF) I run 93 oct for safety. In your case though (with the couple of minor bolt-ons you have) I believe Tom can provide you a tune that only requires 87 and will still offer better driveability. Just PM him to be sure.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Does a tune necessitate 91 octane?
No, but to take advantage of a reflash, get a 91-93 octane tune= it is worth it.[thumb]

Reactions: karmakc

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Premium fuel allows a tune w/ more spark advance, etc.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More spark means more powaaah but with my limited mods...would that make a difference compared to an intake manifold + header?

Also...does a TB really make a difference and if I remember correctly... You even have an under drive pulley etc

·
Registered
353 Posts
More spark means more powaaah but with my limited mods...would that make a difference compared to an intake manifold + header?

Also...does a TB really make a difference and if I remember correctly... You even have an under drive pulley etc
Yes a tune that allows you to benefit from 93oct will help out. Cossie knockoff manifold is definitely worth it (even on the 2.0s despite popular belief), the stock plastic unit I am not a fan of. TB does net gains albeit very small ones iirc, you will want one if you get an upgraded IM. I ditched my plastic TB because it kept getting stuck during cold weather. Pulley does not do anything for these cars, only reason I have a WP pulley is just for looks under the hood plus I bought it off a friend for cheap. Stage 2 cams and upgraded valvetrain are in my future.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here in California we only get 91 octane. I don't think I'll be doing much more for my car. Maybe a used catback if I can find one for cheap...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Here in California we only get 91 octane. I don't think I'll be doing much more for my car. Maybe a used catback if I can find one for cheap...
Still would be an improvement over 87 once you are tuned. I got my HKS 2.36" catback for 90 bux of Craigslist. Sometimes you can stumble on deals.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Karmakc, since your running a 23, I'd do a bsd plug. One of the cheapest effective mods you can do a on 23. Your going to notice a t/b on the onramps. Do a sri/cai & add a tune. Tell your tuner to delete the rear o2 sensor & egr.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What is an egr? And deleting the 02 sensor can't be a good thing for emissions... What are the benefits of both?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Rear O2 is just for measuring cat efficiency. Deleting it negates bogus "cat inefficiency" check engine codes...and allows you to delete the cat down the road if you chose to do so.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Karmakc, since your running a 23, I'd do a bsd plug. One of the cheapest effective mods you can do a on 23. Your going to notice a t/b on the onramps. Do a sri/cai & add a tune. Tell your tuner to delete the rear o2 sensor & egr.
These work for a 2.0 or if not Then what would be good?

@OP do you have any pics of your operation?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
These work for a 2.0 or if not Then what would be good?

@OP do you have any pics of your operation?
I don't have pictures but I can tell you it was a PITA because I intended to keep the original hangar and exhaust exit. Cutting it away from the Lunchbox was made more difficult because the weld for the hangar was on the box and not on the tube.

That said, love the note and pops...I'm having a hard time staying off the throttle and blipping often for rev matched downshifts are now the norm - especially at low speeds :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rear O2 is just for measuring cat efficiency. Deleting it negates bogus "cat inefficiency" check engine codes...and allows you to delete the cat down the road if you chose to do so.
Thanks for the response...I have no plans to de-cat my ride...so probably won't go that route.

As for a BSD...maybe - but since I already have a cfm rear trans mount...I don't know if I can handle any more low rpm vibrations.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
BSD is only on the 2.3's, and the new ST's.

Pulling it gives you almost 20lb. off the front of the car, and an extra quart in the pan. Revs quicker without spinning a lot of that weight.

(BSD = balance shaft delete. Aftermarket plug setup to seal off the oil feed to the balance shaft assy.)

·
Registered
753 Posts
Ooohkay. Googled lunchbox delete. For some reason I thought it was under the hood and was that large box the air traveled through from the filter.. So this is actually at the tail end of the exhaust. I have multiple tools capable of completing a mod such as this and may do it at some point.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ooohkay. Googled lunchbox delete. For some reason I thought it was under the hood and was that large box the air traveled through from the filter.. So this is actually at the tail end of the exhaust. I have multiple tools capable of completing a mod such as this and may do it at some point.
Do you have a PZEV car? If you do..you may want to get rid of the air filter box - it is quite restrictive.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts